Steering Rack

Vehicle Details
1997 Thunderbird LX 4.6L OHC
Country flag
1997 Tbird LX 4.6L

My steering rack may be going out and I have found a couple of replacement options but they are all different. how do i find the correct one

What are the differences? I just bought a new one in June from Carparts.com and it was a straightforward search, order, and install.

I would suggest upgrading to the Mustang rack, you will need the proper steering u joint however. Very pleased with this upgrade.

I would suggest upgrading to the Mustang rack, you will need the proper steering u joint however. Very pleased with this upgrade.
what is the difference with the upgrade? how is it better? also what is the propper u joint

what is the difference with the upgrade? how is it better? also what is the propper u joint

Stiffer torsion bar, spiral cut gears and better valving in the spool. The best ones are the 03-04 Cobra racks but they’re very hard to find, the 03-04 GT/Mach 1 ones are an upgrade too and easier to get.

The U joint needs to be the triangle type end rather than the spline end our stock racks use. Unisteer is the joint to get; “Ford Triangle to 3/4” DD”

I found the feel to be tighter and more responsive. I’ll look for the info on the u joint.
I purchased a reman rack from rock auto and they accepted my old as a core, FYI.

I bought a reman from Advanced, made by cardone. It has 100k mi on it now, and no issues. But it's a bitch to put in, my hands are too big for this job, lol. Be careful of the 90, they break easily. This is one of the jobs to consider doing pro-actively, while the engine is out.

I found the feel to be tighter and more responsive. I’ll look for the info on the u joint.
I purchased a reman rack from rock auto and they accepted my old as a core, FYI.

That’s what I found as well. Cobras have a stiffer T bar and I expected the stiffer steering would be what I’d like but effort’s not that different from stock, but the feel and feedback is noticeably more refined

The two racks you show here are the same as in they will both bolt into your car and function the same. They are just from different manufacturers. You are over thinking this.
then why are the input shaft diameter and lengths different? I just want to make sure i have the right part

then why are the input shaft diameter and lengths different? I just want to make sure i have the right part
Different measurement techniques or they are measuring different parts. Maybe the guy at Cardone is measuring up near the top of the input shaft for the diameter and the BBB is measuring closer to where it goes into the housing. Length is most likely the same thing. Where are they measuring the length to and from? I am 100% sure that both steering racks will fit and work in your car.

I had always followed the chart on Maximum Motorsports website for the different Mustang steering racks, but several years ago Jack Hidley (engineer at MM) started posting info contrary to the chart.
With the lone exception of the 2000 Mustang Cobra R rack:
Group 1: All 1999-2004 Mustang racks have the same valving.
Group 2: All 1996-98 Mustang racks have the same valving.
Group 3: All 1994-95 Mustang racks have the same valving.

The differences in SPR codes from the different racks within the ABOVE groups is due to differences which don’t matter to us, such as the thickness of the steering rack limiter clips. Within each group, the hydraulic valving is the same. In general, the higher the group number, the better the steering feel. Any SN95 steering rack will be a significant improvement over any Fox steering rack.
I think I wound up with a 2001 GT rack to go into my LTD wagon.

Different measurement techniques or they are measuring different parts. Maybe the guy at Cardone is measuring up near the top of the input shaft for the diameter and the BBB is measuring closer to where it goes into the housing. Length is most likely the same thing. Where are they measuring the length to and from? I am 100% sure that both steering racks will fit and work in your car.

I had always followed the chart on Maximum Motorsports website for the different Mustang steering racks, but several years ago Jack Hidley (engineer at MM) started posting info contrary to the chart.

I think I wound up with a 2001 GT rack to go into my LTD wagon.
I'm so sorry for being so clueless, but these are all compatible with the thunderbird? I am still relatively new to this so I just want to be sure. I see a lot of mustang parts and I am not sure how many of the parts are cross compatible

Last edited: