The Unofficial "Ask a Stupid Question" Thread

When my pump went out four years ago it gave no warning signs at all, I backed out of a parking spot, shifted to drive and it just died.
I've heard all kinds of weird sounds when in an enclosed space or just near a wall like in a drive through.

Ok, here is the next stupid question: Can you physically tell if a motor mount is bad. This is on a 4.6 V8. I think my 96 mounts are original and since I have very small Oil filter clearances and I have a CAT that is rubbing the floor on the passenger side, I assumed they were bad. Today I dropped the subframe and removed them. They don't actually look bad at all...
From experience I can tell you those mounts are really compressed from years of use. Buy a new one and set it side to side. You'll see the height difference. The fluid inside is likely long gone.

Do Ford dealers still sell these wire dividers for the 4.6L V8, that have the angled 'leg' that affixes to the valve cover screws?

If not, are they available in the aftermarket, since they're quite particular and not the normal wire dividers?
I'd like to have a few more on-hand, in case my original ones break from age or usage when playing with the wires.

Or has a better/different wire divider been made for these engines?

Thanx

wire divider 4.6.jpg

From experience I can tell you those mounts are really compressed from years of use. Buy a new one and set it side to side. You'll see the height difference. The fluid inside is likely long gone.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, when I got the new mounts installed on the brackets and compared with the old mounts, the new mounts were about 3/4" taller. It didn't even look like the old mounts were the correct ones! The new mounts are supposedly solid with no oil inside.

Very useful if you have a tall engine with hood clearance issue. I just accept the vibration and get a block chain;V8s are smooth enough naturally 😆

Damn...that makes sense to look at a Mustang site. Thanks.

If my Bird ever flies away forever, I'm getting a Mustang...then I'll never-ever have to worry about obsolete parts or finding parts ever again.

I used to feel that way but unless your in a crash that needs body/interior parts(which totals either car) there’s enough interchange you can keep yours going leeching off Mustang parts pretty easy. You just need to make notes and most importantly pay attention to this community!

I used to feel that way but unless your in a crash that needs body/interior parts(which totals either car) there’s enough interchange you can keep yours going leeching off Mustang parts pretty easy. You just need to make notes and most importantly pay attention to this community!
Oh, I agree with you and would do everything within reason & funding to save her, yes.
But I mean if she was a total loss, either stolen or wrecked beyond repair.

Considering they have the Blue Book value just above a pet rock, it becomes an ROI decision:
How much money do you put into a car's repair, before it's not a financially sound decision?
Do you put $10K into a car that's only worth $4K to the insurance company, if it's stolen and never seen again or totaled beyond repair?
If it's a matter of love and/or you have the F You money, sure...Leno does it all the time. But most of us don't.

From another angle, I dread some of our parts no longer existing outside the dwindling supply from junkyards, such as the LED taillights and umpteen Bird-specifc parts, such as body/trim/interior/etc. Someday, there won't be any available, unless Dorman or someone else produces clones. At least with Mustangs, you can literally build or rebuild a car from the ground up with the rich supply of 3rd party, aftermarket, and clone parts makers.

Oh, I agree with you and would do everything within reason & funding to save her, yes.
But I mean if she was a total loss, either stolen or wrecked beyond repair.

Considering they have the Blue Book value just above a pet rock, it becomes an ROI decision:
How much money do you put into a car's repair, before it's not a financially sound decision?
Do you put $10K into a car that's only worth $4K to the insurance company, if it's stolen and never seen again or totaled beyond repair?
If it's a matter of love and/or you have the F You money, sure...Leno does it all the time. But most of us don't.

From another angle, I dread some of our parts no longer existing outside the dwindling supply from junkyards, such as the LED taillights and umpteen Bird-specifc parts, such as body/trim/interior/etc. Someday, there won't be any available, unless Dorman or someone else produces clones. At least with Mustangs, you can literally build or rebuild a car from the ground up with the rich supply of 3rd party, aftermarket, and clone parts makers.
It’s a calculated risk. In the grand scheme of things the 87-93 fox years is what supports ALL fox and SN95 Mustangs… four eyes and SN95s to extent cope with that fact and by extension the MN12s exist on the fringes with their modular power and 99-04 cobra rear end interchange, so while mustangs indeed benefit we are definitely on the fringe

Personally I can tell you with almost two decades of maintenance with my Cougar remarkably on the cheap the only parts you need to worry about existing for the foreseeable future are the front upper and lower control arms. Almost all else is substitutable.

You're looking at it wrong neuro. I like driving mn 12's. so my orignal one, now lazarus, get's 500k miles on it. I bought the red cougar in 05, and put 233km on it before dropping a valve, which now has a pi engine. I aid 2900 cash for it, and the alternative was 400 a month for 5 years on a car that sucked.

You're looking at it wrong neuro. I like driving mn 12's. so my orignal one, now lazarus, get's 500k miles on it. I bought the red cougar in 05, and put 233km on it before dropping a valve, which now has a pi engine. I aid 2900 cash for it, and the alternative was 400 a month for 5 years on a car that sucked.
I didn't mean a new Mustang. I would never buy a new car these days (ok, maybe a Cadillac Sixteen, if they made her)...waste of money, too much electronics & data collection/privacy intrusions on them, as well as froo-froo electronics that will never survive the Vegas heat for more than a few years.

I meant an older one, preferably the S197 retro-Stangs that are still plentiful, dependable, and easy/economical to maintain.
And I like their looks better than the newer S550+ generations.

I absolutely adore the MN12's and prefer driving them, just like you do. I came from an '89 Bird...and was so impressed with her overall quality & design, that when the day came to let her go, I bought the '97 Sport. I consider them one of Ford's best designed & engineered cars that are durable, economical to maintain, and still great looking despite their age.

And the later years had an absolutely perfect interior design that fits me perfectly. I'm tall & broadly built...but don't feel cramped in her, unlike other cars that were designed for normal-sized humans & dwarves. That's why I still drive my '97 Sport and put in the effort & money to keep her in great shape, instead of buying something else.

I didn't mean a new Mustang. I would never buy a new car these days (ok, maybe a Cadillac Sixteen, if they made her)...waste of money, too much electronics & data collection/privacy intrusions on them, as well as froo-froo electronics that will never survive the Vegas heat for more than a few years.

I meant an older one, preferably the S197 retro-Stangs that are still plentiful, dependable, and easy/economical to maintain.
And I like their looks better than the newer S550+ generations.

I absolutely adore the MN12's and prefer driving them, just like you do. I came from an '89 Bird...and was so impressed with her overall quality & design, that when the day came to let her go, I bought the '97 Sport. I consider them one of Ford's best designed & engineered cars that are durable, economical to maintain, and still great looking despite their age.

And the later years had an absolutely perfect interior design that fits me perfectly. I'm tall & broadly built...but don't feel cramped in her, unlike other cars that were designed for normal-sized humans & dwarves. That's why I still drive my '97 Sport and put in the effort & money to keep her in great shape, instead of buying something else.

S197s feel incredibly plasticy compared to MN12s and while ford definitely defined solid axle handling with them they’re still crude feeling on rough surfaces. I won’t pretend a chassis from 1989 is the greatest thing ever but it holds its own… what you need to maintain just boils down to the IRS bushings and two upper ball joints which are 100k mile items… minimum. That’s not enough for me to trade my car for.

Even If I traded one for something, Id still be driving one.

The S197s are most definitely a downgrade from an MN12 in terms of comfort, reliability, durability, and ergonomics. I would most definitely not want to deal with one as a daily driver! Honestly I’d rather daily an old Fox body than an S197. The S550 might not look as good, but it feels FAR more refined than the S197, and would be much more comparable to the MN12 in terms of driving feel.

S197s feel incredibly plasticy compared to MN12s and while ford definitely defined solid axle handling with them they’re still crude feeling on rough surfaces. I won’t pretend a chassis from 1989 is the greatest thing ever but it holds its own… what you need to maintain just boils down to the IRS bushings and two upper ball joints which are 100k mile items… minimum. That’s not enough for me to trade my car for.
I wouldn't trade mine, either...and never suggested I would.
That's why I still meticulously maintain & drive a 27 y/o Bird.

And no doubt the MN12 platform is superior to even the later & evolved Fox platforms.

My plan is only in a worst case scenario where she's destroyed or stolen, because it would be almost impossible to find another rust-free & low-mileage black '97 Sport in near-factory original condition, which is the only way I'd have another one.

The Mustang is a decision of convenience, because you'd never have to worry about obsolete/rare parts ever again, due to the vast aftermarket of Mustang OEM & reproduction parts. My only other consideration, besides the Stang, would be a 97-98 Lincoln Mark VIII for obvious reasons...but that just replays the obsolete parts pain.

Anyway...The Car is with me for life and I'll never trade, sell, or get rid of her.
I'm only considering options IF she's ever destroyed or stolen and gone forever.
Shit happens...so always have a backup plan or exit strategy.

Agreed! but the stang I'd have s a 80's notchback. They're fucking rough, but so am I, lol.
I had a black '89 Stang GT convertible 5-speed, back in the day.
THAT was a fun car to drive in SoCal...couple friends, drop the top, some smokes...and just cruise PCH, Santa Monica, etc.
Those were the days.

And nothing...nothing...will ever sound as good as the 5-0 blub-blub-blub when she's just idling.

I almost bought a new black '91 LX 5.0 hatchback...but it was either pay for that or pay for college.
College won...but still wonder if I made the right decision. 8-)

Last edited:
I had a black '89 Stang GT convertible 5-speed, back in the day.
THAT was a fun car to drive in SoCal...couple friends, drop the top, some smokes...and just cruise PCH, Santa Monica, etc.
Those were the days.

And nothing...nothing...will ever sound as good as the 5-0 burble, burble, burble when she's just idling.

I almost bought a new black '91 LX 5.0 hatchback...but it was either pay for that or pay for college.
College won...but still wonder if I made the right decision. 8-)

what you need to maintain just boils down to the IRS bushings and two upper ball joints which are 100k mile items… minimum.

You all forgive my ignorance here (I make up for it in faux suede and whatnot)...but ball joints? Are we talking in the rear?

I didn't realize that the rear had ball joints. Or maybe I misunderstood, and you were talking about the front. Or maybe I should just walk out to my car and check, but nah...

I owned a 2010 Mustang 4.0 V6 auto base model, bought brand new. I loved that car. Unfortunately it was hit overnight by a drunk driver. 1.5 months and $11,000 later, it never felt quite the same.

Hard to compare it to the Thunderbird with all those years in-between, plus I have never experienced what a Thunderbird felt like brand new. I will say that I like both cars for mostly the same reasons: RWD, trucky-esque engine (good torque, bad hp), affordable two-door. I much prefer the size and colors of the Thunderbird's interior; but I prefer the safety features of the Mustang (ABS, Stability Control).

You all forgive my ignorance here (I make up for it in faux suede and whatnot)...but ball joints? Are we talking in the rear?

I didn't realize that the rear had ball joints. Or maybe I misunderstood, and you were talking about the front. Or maybe I should just walk out to my car and check, but nah...

No I’m referring to both the front and rear suspensions

Ahhh, ok.

So why are you specifically referring to upper ball joints? I thought the major wear happened at the lower ball joint (?).

Ahh I see the confusion, I meant to say upper and lower.

The lowers handle more load but in my experience the uppers wear out faster

Also the lower ball joint can be replaced separate from the arm, and that ball joint itself likely interchanges with other vehicles. The upper ball joint can only be replaced as the complete arm, which is specific to the MN12 and FN10 platform.

Also the lower ball joint can be replaced separate from the arm, and that ball joint itself likely interchanges with other vehicles. The upper ball joint can only be replaced as the complete arm, which is specific to the MN12 and FN10 platform.
The ACDELCO UCAs do have replaceable ball joints, although I do not know what other cars it’s shared with.

ACdelco is a gm company, so I'd say they fit chevys.