Doomsday Thread Redux

TMZ has video of him shooting, and the return fire. Guy that shot the sniper had a Barett mounted on a hard mount. He didn't miss.
130 yards with an ar is hard. with a nato round, it's easy. With a barett, it's hard to miss, if you can shoot one. I've been kicked by horses that were gentler than the barett .50 cal, lol. I want a hard mount like that on Lazarus, with a ma deuce on it. :)
I disagree. 130yards (EDIT UPDATE: never found confirmation that he had a scope), is entirely doable if you aim for center mass. He wasn't doing this with irons. He wasn't military so this was probably his first shot on a person.

While an AR can be made into a 1 moa gun, The avg budget AR shooting crap ammo is 3-5MOA so at 100yards, the bullet should be within a 3-5rd circle. The fact that it landed just last his head means he played too much call of duty and tried for a head shot or did something else wrong.

Noone will ever get a shot at him again from this kind of range unless they know him personally.

As far as returning to the my more civil discourse of 30-40 years ago, I too would love that. However, I think this is a real case of FAFO. The guy on the stage has IMO done the most with his violent rhetoric to bring this about. The fact Mike Johnson is now pleading to tone the rhetoric down is simply too rich.

House Speaker Mike Johnson on Sunday called on Americans to "turn the rhetoric down" following the assassination attempt on former President Donald Trump.

"This is a horrific act of political violence. It ought to be roundly condemned. Obviously, we can't go on like this as a society," Johnson said on NBC News' "Today."

"We've got to turn the rhetoric down. We've got to turn the temperature down in this country. And we need leaders of all parties on both sides to call that out."

Last edited:

Guy had minutes to prepare and whiffed 3 shots.
Also mentions he was a registered Republican who donated $15 to a grassroots dem party after Jan 6th

It'll be hard to pin this one on the Dems when the guy demanding to be "dictator for a day" and deport "15 to 20 million people" using the military was the one with a new ear hole.

30-40 years ago it was possible to be civil about politics because it was largely irrelevant to people’s day-to-day life. As government becomes larger, it’s policies start to have more effect on individual people’s lives, and when people are told what to do, especially by a group that they don’t feel has their best interests at heart, they get angry.

When people see life getting harder for them through taxation and inflation, they get angry. When people see laws designed to limit their civil liberties, they get angry. When people see their property rights disregarded, they get angry. And when they encounter someone who associates themselves with the team that they feel is responsible for making their life harder or stealing from them or restricting their freedoms, it really isn’t reasonable to expect them to be civil to that person. And a big part of the problem is that regardless of whether you are on team red or blue, you are right! Both parties have systematically expanded the size and scope of the federal government over the last 100 years, and so there is plenty of evidence that the other side is the problem, regardless of which side you are on.

This type of violence and lack of civility is the natural progression of government. Government is the monopoly on violence, and when people feel that violence is being used on them unjustly, they will react in kind. Democracy is just a slightly slower version of the process, but political power always grows until is gets torn down in an explosion of violence, but people are too stupid to recognize the pattern and so they start the process all over again.

Would’ve been helpful to that end if the guy was a better shot…
I don't think there's a worse possible take than this one. And I would have the same opinion if the Democrat nominee had been the targeted victim.

We are currently living in the longest stretch of American history without a President or Presidential nominee being assassinated. I see nothing good that can come with that changing. History shows it never does.

If you thought the rhetoric was bad before, imagine what would have happened had their golden cow been capped. Regardless of how the line was crossed, the line was crossed yesterday. Hopefully it results in everyone taking a step back and calming down, Trump included.

I don't think there's a worse possible take than this one. And I would have the same opinion if the Democrat nominee had been the targeted victim.

We are currently living in the longest stretch of American history without a President or Presidential nominee being assassinated. I see nothing good that can come with that changing. History shows it never does.

If you thought the rhetoric was bad before, imagine what would have happened had their golden cow been capped. Regardless of how the line was crossed, the line was crossed yesterday. Hopefully it results in everyone taking a step back and calming down, Trump included.

I don’t consider what you quoted my take as much as a dark joke, my actual take was the paragraph below it.

The golden cow has been an active participant and ringleader in the current state of political discourse that has now brought about the first assassination attempt in decades. It’s not a stretch to assume he won’t be humbled by this and up the rhetoric to the level his followers would have anyway had he been popped. I don’t think anything positive will come out of this attempt, and I think we can agree that it’s most definitely not a good thing

The fact that it landed just last his head means he played too much call of duty and tried for a head shot or did something else wrong.

One shot, one kill .. he didn't adjust for the coriolis effect or bullet drop compensation. Plus you have to watch the flag for changes in wind direction. Cmon, don't tell me you blew off Zakhaevs arm on the first attempt ( I was aiming for the head ) .. 😉

30-40 years ago it was possible to be civil about politics because it was largely irrelevant to people’s day-to-day life.

True .. I was still a toddler - Legos and Star wars were more important than the threat of nuclear annihilation from Russia at the time. Priorities.

I don’t consider what you quoted my take as much as a dark joke

You are a terrible person. Now go fix your bike and come up with some better jokes. 🤣

It's really hard to hit a headshot at 130 yards with a .223 round. They tend to tumble, and will catch the wind and take off in a random way. A 7.62 hunting round, at 150 grains will pop a head like a watermelon at that range. I sighted in my cetme at the range in oak ridge, accurate at 1500 yards, with a left-right crosswind. They have a nice range.

It's really hard to hit a headshot at 130 yards with a .223 round. They tend to tumble, and will catch the wind and take off in a random way. A 7.62 hunting round, at 150 grains will pop a head like a watermelon at that range. I sighted in my cetme at the range in oak ridge, accurate at 1500 yards, with a left-right crosswind. They have a nice range.
Totally depends on the round. My 5.56/.223 puts perfect holes in paper at 100 yds w/50gr fmj. The 855 "ball" rounds that are "military" tumble but decent rounds will not. This lunatic was either not good, or Trump moved in a manner that he wasn't expecting. I'm sure it was the former.

At any rate no one benefits from murder and the rhetoric on both sides has to stop. If you think one side is better than the other, you're not paying attention, IMO.

My mind isn't going to change about either one. The last time we had a shit sandwitch like this, Obama came out of nowhere and won. I'm hoping America wins, not either one of the current prospects.

TMZ has video of him shooting, and the return fire. Guy that shot the sniper had a Barett mounted on a hard mount. He didn't miss.
130 yards with an ar is hard. with a nato round, it's easy. With a barett, it's hard to miss, if you can shoot one. I've been kicked by horses that were gentler than the barett .50 cal, lol. I want a hard mount like that on Lazarus, with a ma deuce on it. :)
If you want to nerd out, this guy cites that it was a Mcmillan 700 shooting 300winmag. Not 50BMG but certainly not a round that you want to be hit by.

I never found any citation that Crooks used a scope but at 167yards is not a shot that he should have missed with an AR556 (which i guess points to the gun being a Ruger direct impingement 556. These aren't expensive pedestrian ARs ($1K MSRP) but they certainly aren't povety ponies (https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/295087), either.

One shot, one kill .. he didn't adjust for the coriolis effect or bullet drop compensation. Plus you have to watch the flag for changes in wind direction. Cmon, don't tell me you blew off Zakhaevs arm on the first attempt ( I was aiming for the head ) .. 😉

True .. I was still a toddler - Legos and Star wars were more important than the threat of nuclear annihilation from Russia at the time. Priorities.

You are a terrible person. Now go fix your bike and come up with some better jokes. 🤣
Hahaha... adjusting for coriolis effect and bullet drop @ 167 yards -- that's like me offering up my tbird lemons car and/or UTV to be used as a computational fluid dynamics model for one of my employer's subsidiaries. Accurate aerodynamic modelling isn't going to be super useful at the racing speed of either vehicle (lemons racing at sears point or the UTV on a baja track).

Bullet drop on a .223 is about twice what the return fire was. I thought the rifle on the hardpoint was a barett, from the flash suppressor on the end.

It's sounding more and more like there was some indication to spectators prior to start that he was "off". Apparently authorities were looking for someone acting weird around the magnetometer, which was likely this guy. If so, that explains a rushed shot.

I personally sight .223/5.56 to zero elevation at 100yds. 67 more yds with good ammo is only 1" drop. Easy to make that adjustment, and not even needed if you're a good marksman. Either way, glad he was taken out quickly.

And .300 win mag is definitely more flat shooting. Plus the guy on trigger has maybe more practice rounds. Can't say the same for the female security around the getaway vehicle. Talk about a shit show.

Corolis force, at that latitude can be 2", for a 200' shot. That could have been the difference. He was shooting due north, iirc.

How much does the Coriolis effect affect bullets?

Typical horizontal Coriolis drift for a small arms trajectory fired near 45 degrees North Latitude is about 2.5-3.0 inches to the right at 1000 yards. The Vertical component of the Coriolis effect depends on what direction you shoot, as well as where you are on the planet.
That's why dude missed.

How much does the Coriolis effect affect bullets?

Typical horizontal Coriolis drift for a small arms trajectory fired near 45 degrees North Latitude is about 2.5-3.0 inches to the right at 1000 yards. The Vertical component of the Coriolis effect depends on what direction you shoot, as well as where you are on the planet.
That's why dude missed.

Across short distances the Coriolis effect is so minimal as to be nonexistent. The greatest effects on a bullet's trajectory are going to be by atmospheric conditions and gravity.

Having said that, I did find this after a quick google-fu search:

Military snipers sometimes have to consider the Coriolis effect. Although the trajectory of bullets is too short to be greatly impacted by Earth’s rotation, sniper targeting is so precise that a deflection of several centimeters could injure innocent people or damage civilian infrastructure.

A 200' shot still gives a motion of about 1/2", not enough for a miss, but off-target. I sighted the cetme at 1000 yards, it was 1" high at 100 yards, 3" high at 300 yards, and spot on at 1000. I use a 4 power scope I've had for 50 years, lol. The scale in my scope is for a .22, but it fit's the cetme profile perfectly, if you mentally recalibrate what the lines mean to what fits the cetme. The 10 yard lines are inches of elevation at target, lol. And the zero is spot-on.

These guys are great. I learned to shoot here, and at the now long ago closed range at y-12.

Well, the Israelis certainly had patience.

- If you are part of the facilities/cleaning/guard crew for these buildings, your life is probably going to suck until they figure out how the bomb was planted.
- If you are part of the IRG, I bet your bosses are asking how many OTHER bombs remain planted and ready to go off.

Israelis are at it again.
Somehow they figured out how to get a Taiwanese pager design sold to a hungarian entity and then resold to Hezbollah (maybe they offered a cheap enough deal with free shipping/smuggling into Gaza?). The front company was either in on it or the devices were intercepted in transit and replaced (I feel sorry for the Hungarian lady who was part of the deal, she's gonna need to go into hiding). Seems to have caused serious chaos within Hezbollah (even if a few innocents/kids were also killed)

These pagers had enough embedded explosives inside to take out a good chunk of Hezbollah members who got this as part of their comms network. Then 24 hours later, ICOM (a fairly popular walkie talkie brand) devices explode using the same technique, taking out more members (and unfortunately a few innocents).

This is some serious James Bond esque thinking.

This article explores whether the cause was SW triggering thermal runaway in the 3.4oz pager battery (my gut feel -- unlikely) or some kind of embedded micromunition. They say the smallest US deployed mine weighs less than 0.75oz and contained 1/3 oz of explosive so implemention of this to use the rest of the pager as shrapnel is certainly possible and honestly... crazy devious.

This shit won't end soon.

Israelis are at it again.
Somehow they figured out how to get a Taiwanese pager design sold to a hungarian entity and then resold to Hezbollah (maybe they offered a cheap enough deal with free shipping/smuggling into Gaza?). The front company was either in on it or the devices were intercepted in transit and replaced (I feel sorry for the Hungarian lady who was part of the deal, she's gonna need to go into hiding). Seems to have caused serious chaos within Hezbollah (even if a few innocents/kids were also killed)

These pagers had enough embedded explosives inside to take out a good chunk of Hezbollah members who got this as part of their comms network. Then 24 hours later, ICOM (a fairly popular walkie talkie brand) devices explode using the same technique, taking out more members (and unfortunately a few innocents).

This is some serious James Bond esque thinking.

This article explores whether the cause was SW triggering thermal runaway in the 3.4oz pager battery (my gut feel -- unlikely) or some kind of embedded micromunition. They say the smallest US deployed mine weighs less than 0.75oz and contained 1/3 oz of explosive so implemention of this to use the rest of the pager as shrapnel is certainly possible and honestly... crazy devious.

This shit won't end soon.
I think it’s brilliant what they did. Don’t mess with Mossad!