New Forum Suggestions

that link gives me the same results.

Just my opinion, but I don't like that youtube embeds into the chatbox. Thumbnails are cool. Not sure if there's a toggle for that

I think it's a toggle for the entire forum - the chatbox controls are pretty basic. If the full YouTube embed is a hassle we can look at changing it sitewide, but I'd have to poke around a bit to see how we could do that.

I would like to suggest a couple of things.

First, for the how-to articles, that there is more attention paid to pictures and part numbers. I know, most Ford parts for these cars are discontinued, but it really helps when doing Internet searches. I've read some of the how-to postings that are very cool but just gloss over what are, to a non-expert like me, very important points. Front and back pics of smaller parts are very helpful, along with pics of what they look like installed. I'm thinking of the J-Mod article, how it would show pics of the desired parts and how they differ from the lesser originals or alternatives. Ya, that article is detailed as hell, not expecting 20 pages for how to add a rear spoiler, but more documentation always helps.

So, instead of something like "Just wrap with some insulation and..." spell out what type of insulation, better yet Ford or RockAuto or Delco part number XXX-XXXX-XX if it applies. And cross-over part numbers would be great, too, like in the how-to about a real oil sending unit (and negating that resistor) for our oil gauges, there are like 4 possibilities listed for the replacement sending unit, that really helps.

Probably a lot of times whoever does the write-up thinks he's included everything but later it becomes apparent that something was skipped or assumed, it would be an easy thing to add another post explaining a missing measurement or junkyard part needed or whatever.

The only reason I suggest this is I've seen new threads about various upgrades (bigger brakes, rare options in different years, parts swaps) that ask questions because the previous how-to didn't address some aspect of completing the modification or someone asks for clarification about some step in the process.

Second, sort of related, could there be a collection of master list of basic options for different common changes/additions to the MN12s?

For example, I remember asking about which stock spare tire would work for our MN12s with the larger Mustang hub swap (larger bolt circle) and got like 3 suggestions (Five Hundred, Crown Vic, Taurus) and then people were saying one was better than the others because of size (wheel height) or how it fit in the trunk. So that would be a useful pinned post under some general Spare Tire Options that fit in our trunks under that trunk cover. With pictures of them in the MN12 trunk, if possible.

Other examples would be a master parts list (and pictures) of JBL subwoofer parts and applications (Thunderbird/Cougar), the different cornering lights from older Thunderbirds and maybe other FoMoCo cars (Crown Vics) along with wiring parts (multi-function switch, lighting harness), different flex plates and torque converter options (like the Marauder higher performance versions), a list of different alternators that would fit our mounting points, etc.

I think someone posted a bunch of pictures of different gauge clusters for various years (including Canadian or wherever the kph versions originate from), that's the sort of thing that I'm getting at with these other suggestions.

I'm guessing that maybe all that info was sprayed all over the TCCoA forums in various update threads, better to consolidate all that into one summary.

Do we have a RockAuto post for entering our discount codes for other's to use? If not, can you make one?

To start with, anyone can use Code: 266644619237688243 / expires on June 21, 2024.
Thanks!

I would like to suggest a couple of things.

First, for the how-to articles, that there is more attention paid to pictures and part numbers. I know, most Ford parts for these cars are discontinued, but it really helps when doing Internet searches. I've read some of the how-to postings that are very cool but just gloss over what are, to a non-expert like me, very important points. Front and back pics of smaller parts are very helpful, along with pics of what they look like installed. I'm thinking of the J-Mod article, how it would show pics of the desired parts and how they differ from the lesser originals or alternatives. Ya, that article is detailed as hell, not expecting 20 pages for how to add a rear spoiler, but more documentation always helps.
I am not a tech writer, though I do a lot of it at work for Microsoft Outlook usage. My belief is whenever you write up an article on how to do something, you need to write for the beginner because your clients that will read the articles span from novice to expert. The novice wants the tiny details and pictures and the expert is just glancing for confirmation on an issue.

As for the J-Mod process, I did this once on my Cougar and the company that sold the modification had a terrible write up. I kept writing them asking questions and not getting the best of answers. I guess they wrote the article for someone with an ASE certification license. But as I mentioned, who will be your customer? Write the article to suite the full range of customers from beginner to expert. Step by step with pics when applicable and details on the process. (you should see my J-Mod installation document after I was done. It had notes written all over the pages). I used to do write-ups for Lincolns On Line and The Lincoln Mark VII Club, but got tired of doing them because I wanted them to be easy to use for beginners and a lot of information for the professional.

Do we have a RockAuto post for entering our discount codes for other's to use? If not, can you make one?

To start with, anyone can use Code: 266644619237688243 / expires on June 21, 2024.
Thanks!
See this thread

I remember years ago, someone posted a 15% discount link!
No schitz Grog!? WOW! Pro's and Con's for RockAuto:
Pro:
Cheaper prices for the most part, but you have to watch the shipping costs. There whole "warehouse A, B, C, etc... is rather a pain. I would think they would have a contract with FedEx that it ships for the same price no matter what warehouse.
They usually ship in a box, not a plastic bag where the shipping gorillas can have fun with it.
Con's
Parts listed are not always "OEM" or fit as they should if it is supposed to be a "direct replacement" but "the vendor said it would fit". Yeah right.
Crappy customer service.
What customer service they have is pretty snotty when they email back.
You may get a pre-owned item. Or let's say, the possibility that someone has opened it and not all the parts are there is pretty high.
RockAuto does not distinguish between a return item and a new item. It's in the warehouse, sell it for the going rate minus 10% (or whatever the factor is).
You may get smashed, dented and or damaged items. I once got a set of wiper blades that came with several other items. The box the items came is was not damaged. The plastic housing of the wiper blades was torn and the wiper blades bent. This did not happen in shipping. When I wrote them about it, I mentioned that I could not believe someone in shipping would send me an opened / damaged wiper blade unless they thought I would not return it or did not care. Really?