Q: What are you watching (TV/Streaming/Movies) and want to recommend?

Oh no, this is a series show. It's called Three-Body. You can read more about it here:

They thanks for pointing out this series to me -- until your post, I wasn't aware of its existance.

* While I've watched plenty of movies from HK cinema since the 90s, the recent movies I've seen from China had hollywood blockbuster visual effects but just felt kind of hollow in terms of characters. This series felt a little different and I like it.

* I'm just a few episodes in and I'm surprised at how more technical the show feels; its almost like they expect their viewers to have a more technical background. Here's an example: in the netflix series, the shadowy org convinces a character that some force will cause the sky to blink. IIRC, in the Netflix series all the stars start blinking. In comparison, in the chinese series the shadow org tells the main character that the universe will blink. What he sees is a fluctuation in the cosmic microwave background radiation levels. Kind of interesting.

It has some k-drama or j-dorama elements.
You can watch it on Amazon Prime or on Viki (whatever this is)

* I'm just a few episodes in and I'm surprised at how more technical the show feels; its almost like they expect their viewers to have a more technical background.
Wow... that is EXACTLY what we thought too! I know I got lost several times, but I am no scientist either. My wife watched it to the end. I thought it was too "talk, talk, talk... action.... talk, talk, talk..." That's me, I'm a guy. I want to see someone getting shot, at least every 15 minutes! LOL

Today I watched Derek put a hemi engine in a Chevy C10. All that work and I keep asking myself "why"? He said he got the engine from a buddy for a song so, why not?! The remake of the driveshaft was almost the most expensive part the rebuild.

Still shaking my head....

Last edited:
Today I wanted Derek put a hemi engine in a Chevy C10. All that work and I keep asking myself "why"? He said he got the engine from a buddy for a song so, why not?! The remake of the driveshaft was almost the most expensive part the rebuild.

Still shaking my head....

I’m still shaking my head over his LS rockers in place of LA mopar shaft rockers. Yeah you’re the first and nobody does it because it’s stupid lol.

He did it because it has not been done that much, if at all. And he has the money and resources to get it done right (at least it seems right). But at the same time, after the show, I did learn a lot about newer engines and computer controlled engines / transmissions, much as new cars are controlled. But to see it done with 3rd party equipment and make it work? Frack... "priceless".

Wow... that is EXACTLY what we thought too! I know I got lost several times, but I am no scientist either. My wife watched it to the end. I thought it was too "talk, talk, talk... action.... talk, talk, talk..." That's me, I'm a guy. I want to see someone getting shot, at least every 15 minutes! LOL
I finished this series and I'm trying to recall if I've ever watched a series that was almost exclusively driven by scene after scene of dialogue between two characters. The West Wing comes to mind -- but (despite multiple friends raving about it), I don't think I've watched an entire episode yet. Its like my neverending Netflix or Steam backlog.

Here's another series that I'd recommend: Netflix's new Terminator Zero 8-episode Anime series.
- The anime studio Production IG was famous for Ghost in the Shell and has a similar feel
- Unlike the prior Terminator movies/series in which changes in the past would effect events in the future, this series firmly establishes that by going back into the past, a character is starting a new branch of time vs affecting their own prior timeline. Its similar to how time travel is supposed to work in The Peripheral.
- By starting new branches, this story also establishes that this basic time war is almost a never-ending cycle: as long as the losing side retains the ability to send combatants back in time, noone side will ever win.
- Set in Japan, so no Arnold.

Wife is watching Suits all the way through for the first time. I watched it when it was new and liked it then. Can't get back into it now though. I forgot how much I hated Mike Ross' character. 99% of the nonsense in the plot is because of him.

Also annoying to see Meghan Markle in any sort of acting role now that all of her other nonsense has happened.

The first terminator was the only one in the franchise that handled the time travel explanation well;

Kyle Reese: “I didn’t build the fucking thing!”

The whole time travel aspect was always very unimportant fridge logic in the first two movies, it was just a convenient way to explain how a robot that looks human can exist and payoff to a twist ending.

Franchises are stupid. Star Wars is no better taking throwaway lines/cannon fodder characters and spawning terrible miniseries after miniseries over. I prefer to just treat everything after a second or third sequel as fan fiction. But that’s me, my imagination is a better writer than what I’ve seen

I've watched a good amount of crap recently on Netflix (Hit Man, American Assasin, Atlas, Land of Bad) -- all of which aren't memorable at all.... but I did come across this one gem from 2017 I hadn't heard of before

Logan Lucky is a "hillbilly heist" movie with some quirky characters starring a star wars guy (Adam Driver), a stripper (Channing Tatum), and James Bond (Daniel Craig). The casting is definitely over the top.
While it doesn't break any new ground for plot or cinematography, it did make me chortle several times (this long cut trailer has a lot of the quirkiness on display)

My kid is working his way through the Avatar animated series. I haven't watched it for years but I'm still impressed at how well this american-made anime was made.