Steering Assist?

Vicinity

Stock CD Player
Birdcats Supporter
Vehicle Details
96 4.6 LX, 98 LSC
Country flag
What is the steering assist option supposed to accomplish? On my drive home today in the LSC, I noticed that the steering wheel was resisting to turn a 90. The wheel didn't return to position after the turn either. It was fine until this point. I didnt check if the favored the left or right turn

What is the steering assist option supposed to accomplish? On my drive home today in the LSC, I noticed that the steering wheel was resisting to turn a 90. The wheel didn't return to position after the turn either. It was fine until this point. I didnt check if the favored the left or right turn
I always understood it to adjust the effort you have to add based on speed.

It's supposed to make it easier to turn the wheel at low speeds (think parking lot)

It’s designed to reduce assist at higher speeds, increasing feedback through the wheel and effectively making the car less twitchy to user inputs at those speeds.

Failure of one or more inputs will default it to full assist, never the opposite. When you lose returnability it’s a mechanical problem, usually bad ball joints.

Ok right that makes sense. Thank you