Throughput of SC fuel pump

It is definitely one of the less fun jobs to do on these cars. I don't have a lift and I don't know how many times I've dropped tanks on these things. I think the worst part is trying to disconnect the rubber crossover hose on the top middle of the back of the tank and the fuel fill hose. My hands are usually black from trying to wrangle the hoses off with my hands.

You can get the pump out without undoing the crossover. Tilting the front of the tank down is enough to get the pump in and out. what’s critical is to unclip the plastic line holder from the tank only just when you can get your arm up in there and that reduces the possibility of kinking the lines to almost zero.

First time I dropped the tank it was definitely at the top of my list of “don’t want to do that again” jobs but last time when Had to revisit to swap the defective level sensor it was a breeze.

I know the value of my one in 722 1994 5-speed SC.

I have one of those. And a 95 5 speed, one of 574 .. 🤭 .. I did scrap out two 95 5 speeds and a 94 5 speed years ago, so you can make that 1 in 721 .. 😉 actually, I have this working theory that due to the production numbers between 94/95; the 95s being more "collectible" would mean there may actually end up being less 94s in existence after all these years .. 🤔

is that big puddle of hard putty looking stuff supposed to being the center?

I've never seen that in all the gas tanks I've dropped.

I have one of those. And a 95 5 speed, one of 574 .. 🤭 .. I did scrap out two 95 5 speeds and a 94 5 speed years ago, so you can make that 1 in 721 .. 😉 actually, I have this working theory that due to the production numbers between 94/95; the 95s being more "collectible" would mean there may actually end up being less 94s in existence after all these years .. 🤔

I've never seen that in all the gas tanks I've dropped.
I haven't driven my SC since 2010. It needs a bunch of work. Besides the fuel pump is needs a pinion seal and a half-shaft seal. Looks like either the rear main seal or the slave cylinder is leaking, probably both. Needs a back glass pinch weld repair, back glass replacement, core support bottom is slightly bent, all front suspension components. Can't tell about the steering rack until I get it started. The AC system may need to be completely replaced, I know it needs a new condensor (or whatever they call the thing in front of the radiator). Oh yeah, needs a fender and trunk lid but i have those. Also tires, can't even drive on the ones on it. We're are talking about $2000+ in parts there. I can't do the pinch weld repair or core support.
I'm ashamed I neglected it for all these years, knowing what it is. Life happens, but it has no body rust and only surface rust on driveline. It solid and worth saving.

Yeah, I felt inside the tank of a parts car where somebody before me made a half of the backseat into a "flap" and I didn't feel it either. The fuel was opaque so that's why I had to feel. Then I took a small screwdriver to the tank of my SC and scraped away stuff over an eighth of an inch thick! I thought it may have been a type of cement to glue the tray to the tank. How stupid of me! It's all out now.

Took the POS chinesium fuel pump back to O'Reilly's. My old pump's entire frame was rusted and I can't find a high-capacity pump with a frame anywhere. That's another reason I didn't order one in the first place.

Seems like I'll have to spend about $100 on a chinesium POS just for the frame then have to buy a $200+ high capacity pump to replace the 68-liter pump on the crappy frame. I just can't swing $300 fir a fuel pump at the moment as I'm going on a 10-day trip to Wyoming in 10 days.

The SC will have to stay on my lift until I get back I suppose...

Not familiar with LMR. Thought SCP was the only supplier. They also have the 255lph pump. Don't know if I need it. Was going to attempt to boost the HP upto at least 300HP with Magnum Powers bolt on in the future. I may never get there don't know...

Just looked at Rockauto. An Airtex closeout is the only pump below $40. All others are $56-95.

I haven't had good luck with RA closeout but then again, I only need the frame...

Last edited:
Not familiar with LMR. Thought SCP was the only supplier. They also have the 255lph pump. Don't know if I need it. Was going to attempt to boost the HP upto at least 300HP with Magnum Powers bolt on in the future. I may never get there don't know...

Just looked at Rockauto. An Airtex closeout is the only pump below $40. All others are $56-95.

I haven't had good luck with RA closeout but then again, I only need the frame...
LMR.com also has that pump too. I think 190 lph should be fine. 255lph I think is really high for a stock setup. A lot of fuel cycling.

No, the intake Valve. 3v and dohc have less restriction than 2v.

Doesn't matter; higher pressure moves more air thru the straw. Porting helps, but it still has to get past the valve. A 400 psi compressor would work if it whould flow 1000 cfm at that pressure; You wouldn't even need injectors, with that much air, you could use the fuel rail straight lol.

I think someone a few years ago on SCCOA found a way to use splitport heads and intake with the supercharger.

The 4v wont' develop as much boost as on a 2v, due to increased flow. It flows the same amount of air, but since the restriction is less it develops less pressure.

What the fuck are you talking about ?

I reread Gunn's post; I thought you used the 4v heads. So, it keeps the same heads. The boost would stay the same with the same heads.

The 3.8 and 4.2 is the same block just different crankshaft.

I thought it was the intake manifold.

The biggest restriction to making 300 HP with the Super Coupe is actually your wallet. 😉

We are. And Magnum Powers advertises the horsepower gain with their products. High SC top is an example.

I wouldn't believe that mod in itself makes any difference. All of those "Bolt on" parts will more likely result in a blown head gasket or cracked head if you're not throwing them on a properly prepped engine.

I would get the one XR7 posted, it’s cheaper.

If you want 300hp out of the sc, it will need a new headgasket type, like solid copper with a ring enbedded