What are you Listening To?

Jim Croce was great! Can you pick one up for me for Father's Day?! 🤔 :ROFLMAO:

Joe

My dad had that album, after he died. We didn't have a great relationship. Luckily, I had other father types in my life.

That's awesome, I will have to look for it.
I think Jim's "I've got a name" is the most Fathers Day song out there. I am surprised it's not on this album.
I Got A Name released the day after his fatal plane crash. He was on his final tour at the time and had only performed it live once I believe for TV. It wasn't yet in his setlist at the time this album was recorded. If I remember correctly, this live album wasn't released until the 80's. It is on Spotify now though.

The real crime is that he died before he performed Time In A Bottle to a recorded live audience.

The other real crime was the pilot who had coronary artery disease deciding to run three miles from the hotel to the runway before flying the plane.

Babe in Latex, doing metal. What's not to like. She came here in the early 00' and I had tickets, but she was touring with Manson, who got protested They cancelled.

Last edited by a moderator:
More on Black Sabbath. I love their Tony Martin period, but he's a less popular vocalist for them. I always saw him as a poor man's Dio, similar delivery and vibe though the music is distinct. Anyway, their last album, "Forbidden", was mixed like garbage. Iommi has said he always wanted to remix it to where it should have been. Apparently this finally happened after they got around to making a remastered box set of the Martin albums (minus "The Eternal Idol" which was on a different label). The difference is astounding -

"Cross Purposes" is still my favorite album from this era but they're all solid Sabbath albums.

More on Black Sabbath. I love their Tony Martin period, but he's a less popular vocalist for them. I always saw him as a poor man's Dio, similar delivery and vibe though the music is distinct. Anyway, their last album, "Forbidden", was mixed like garbage. Iommi has said he always wanted to remix it to where it should have been. Apparently this finally happened after they got around to making a remastered box set of the Martin albums (minus "The Eternal Idol" which was on a different label). The difference is astounding -

"Cross Purposes" is still my favorite album from this era but they're all solid Sabbath albums.

Call me crazy but save for a few spots I like the sound of the 95 mix better overall, a lot of metal bands from the 80s(the golden era IMO) had similar album tones, including Dio era Sabbath before remasters. The remaster’s production is harsh and generic 2000s - present sounding and part of why I A. Don’t enjoy/listen to any rock/metal after grunge and B why I’ll always seek out the earliest unremastered CDs or digital copies I can find.

There are a few spots where it sounded like Iommi re-recorded some riffs and plays them ever so slightly differently, which bugs the hell out of me

The last sabbath album I bought in years was "Tyr", which I thought sucked ass. I didn't buy another one until the "Reunion" album.

Call me crazy but save for a few spots I like the sound of the 95 mix better overall, a lot of metal bands from the 80s(the golden era IMO) had similar album tones, including Dio era Sabbath before remasters. The remaster’s production is harsh and generic 2000s - present sounding and part of why I A. Don’t enjoy/listen to any rock/metal after grunge and B why I’ll always seek out the earliest unremastered CDs or digital copies I can find.

There are a few spots where it sounded like Iommi re-recorded some riffs and plays them ever so slightly differently, which bugs the hell out of me

You're crazy, hahaaha. By that I mean I never had the same "this sounds like shit" thought about any Dio era Sabbath albums (vinyl or CD). This "Forbidden" mix is uniquely terrible, especially considering the album right before it sounded fine. It was Body Count's guitarist, I think, and the label wanting a more "hip" sound or whatever, they went out of their way to make it sound like it was coming out of an AM radio.

As far as I've read, he didn't rerecord anything, he used alternate takes. Some vocals, some solos. On some songs he either included shit that had been recorded but not used, or removed some parts (like keyboards). I think a couple songs now have their original, extended endings instead of just a clumsy fade out. If Iommi says he never liked the mix, that tells me it sounded like ass from the beginning because none of the other albums sound like garbage.

I agree about original unremastered CDs, though most remastered versions, to me, don't sound really different beyond more bottom end. Some are brickwalled, of course, those are the least desirable, others are just "more". I'm almost finished tracking down the original CD masterings of the Led Zeppelin albums. They were very close to the vinyl album masterings, apparently. Many remasters are just doing what I would be doing anyway, which is turning up the bass in my car because there's hardly any bottom end, hahahaha.

And, of course, many remastered CDs also included unreleased songs that were never on vinyl. I would say that The Cars, UFO, MSG, Led Zeppelin, some other bands have done a lot there, I've heard some great songs (and some demos) that "didn't exist" back when those albums were initially released on vinyl. In terms of Black Sabbath, the Deluxe Edition of "The Eternal Idol" includes the original versions of the songs with Ray Gillen (from Badlands) singing on them! He was initially going to be the lead singer before Tony Martin. The songs are fantastic, the same but different. Unfortunately, a few are missing the guitar solos, but otherwise, really happy that the remastered version came out.

Last edited:
The last sabbath album I bought in years was "Tyr", which I thought sucked ass. I didn't buy another one until the "Reunion" album.

It's a weird album, almost a concept album. I like it but it's probably the weakest of the Martin albums. "Dehumanizer" with Dio is really good, the drum intro to "Computer God" is one of my favorite Appice parts -

The next album, "Cross Purposes", has Martin singing again, I like the drumming and the songwriting the most of his albums, even the slow songs (cool Dio vibe) -

Love those almost-Vinny Appice drums. But the whole album is great.

The bass is really adding to these songs, too, that's kind of rare nowadays.

I have a copy of the original master recordings versons of the Led zep stuff. It supposedly had gold foil, but who knows. I sampled it all to flac and cv it to vinyl, and it was bettter in every respect I copied
all my stuff with Copies of mp3, flac, and cd samples
Strange fact: I have a Dutche gramophon version on Beethoven
9'th, that sounds way better on vinyl than the flac file.

New fan of the Artemis Pyle Band, listening to them today. They played a concert in a local park last night hosted by the county as part of a series of summertime events. Pyle, the drummer, is the last surviving member of the original Lynyrd Skynyrd band. 76 years old and still drumming like a 26 year old. They travel the country doing shows of Lynyrd Skynyrd songs. They did almost all of them that I know (playlist) in a good hour and forty-five minute set, including a really nice acoustic version of Tuesday's Gone. Wish I had been smart enough to capture a few pictures.

Last edited:
Pyle, the drummer, is the last surviving member of the original Lynyrd Skynyrd band.
Bob Burns was the original drummer for Skynyrd. Artimus didn't join until 1975 for Nuthin' Fancy. Saturday Night Special was the first single he played on.

There is also a rumor that Artimus was a plant to keep the band from sobering up because the drug industry didn't want their biggest influencers getting clean.

I've really been enjoying this one from 2018: Bryan Ferry / Scott Walker-style vocals, a steady shuffle, and a touch of synth. The chorus is fantastic.

The video is a lot of fun, too, dressing it all up in the style of an infomercial for an 80s psychic hotline. If videos annoy you and you just want to hear what the song sounds like, it starts at 22 seconds in.

Also, this has been my favourite unapologetic guitar rock discovery of the past year, an increasingly rare thing. From 2006 but something I only found recently. I'm in love with how that beginning builds instrument by instrument, nice breakdown in the middle, comes back for a roaring finish. Overall it just rips; play it as loud as possible:

Another one of my favorite albums. Even today it's still timeless. When I started playing drums decades ago, "Need You Tonight" was one of the first songs I learned when trying to master 1/16 notes.

Michael Hutchence's spiral to suicide after this album was one of the biggest tragedies in recent music. After the success of "Kick", pundits were saying INXS could be the next Rolling Stones. Hutchence just couldn't handle the limelight to make it happen.