What are you Listening To?

That was actually the only Doors record I bought, right after it came out, the 45. I have it somewhere. I know it's probably unplayable from being bounced around! o_O

Joe

I just saw the Best of Both Worlds tour with Sammy Hagar, Joe Satriani, Michael Anthony and Jason Bonham. Totally kickass! Been listening to VH lately.

On side note, recently discovered Guthrie Govan. Pretty chill.

Still a hit. If we had to lose Yes and ELP to get Asia, that was a fair trade.

I never had a favorite between John Wetton or Greg Lake. They were both awesome to me. I know back in the day everyone hated this concert because of Lake but I never got the hate. It's stellar.

I liked that band a lot, but it's one of the least progressive of the progressive rock bands. Progressive pop, hahaahaha. The first album is the best, each one after that is lesser. Wetton is the voice of that band, I feel bad for Lake having to take over and fill those shoes, even just briefly. His voice wasn't high enough to do the Wetton parts correctly. Still a great singer, just "wrong" (similar to how Brad Gillis got all that hate for filling in for Randy Rhoads after he died). It's funny, they were both vocalists in King Crimson at different points, too.

If you like Wetton's version of Asia, you should get some of his solo stuff, too. I love this solo version of "When Will You Realize?" (the U.K. version before as a single b-side sounds tired) -

The Icon albums he did with Geoffrey Downes are good, too, but not as consistent as the Asia stuff. Asia has a best-of CD called "The Very Best Of Asia - Heat Of The Moment" that includes 3 b-sides of singles (I actually bought a couple Asia 12" vinyl singles back when the songs were new just to get these extra songs) such as "Lying To Yourself" -

Their reunion albums were kind of hit and miss but they had a few good songs in them.

I never got around to seeing those tours. Too late now, obviously. Dammit, them and The Cars.

One band that I wish I saw live. :sad:

Joe
I saw them in '96 before I left for basic training in the Army. Had a buddy doing stage security and he got me backstage after the show. Met Tom when he came up behind me and saw my haircut and said he once met a guy yrs ago with that hairstyle and he offered me a Budwieser, which I gladly took. Lol.. Stood there talking about music and him meeting Elvis when he was a kid in '62 while he was filming the movie Follow That Dream in Florida near his hometown. Said that was the moment he KNEW he wanted to be a rock star too. It was a awesome show and awesome night.

Had a girlfriend when this first came out, the song fit the bill.

Cars - All Mixed Up (the acid we did back then didn't help)

(the album cut is much better, but to see them live is priceless) They came to Albuquerque back in 78, I don't remember much, but that I had a good time, and it was LOUD!

I liked that band a lot, but it's one of the least progressive of the progressive rock bands. Progressive pop, hahaahaha. The first album is the best, each one after that is lesser. Wetton is the voice of that band, I feel bad for Lake having to take over and fill those shoes, even just briefly. His voice wasn't high enough to do the Wetton parts correctly. Still a great singer, just "wrong" (similar to how Brad Gillis got all that hate for filling in for Randy Rhoads after he died). It's funny, they were both vocalists in King Crimson at different points, too.
One of my favorite things about Asia is the lead vocalist wasn't the guitarist. Even when Lake took over, he still played bass while singing lead.

As a drummer, I've got a soft spot for any band that has an oddball instrumentalist on lead vocals. Genesis, the Eagles, Asia, all greats to me.

And if I recall correctly, Wetton took over for Lake in King Crimson when Lake left them. Then Lake replaced Wetton in Asia when Geffen fired Wetton.

One of my favorite things about Asia is the lead vocalist wasn't the guitarist. Even when Lake took over, he still played bass while singing lead.

As a drummer, I've got a soft spot for any band that has an oddball instrumentalist on lead vocals. Genesis, the Eagles, Asia, all greats to me.

And if I recall correctly, Wetton took over for Lake in King Crimson when Lake left them. Then Lake replaced Wetton in Asia when Geffen fired Wetton.

You must like King's X, Thin Lizzy as well. Triumph had two vocalists, Gil Moore was the drummer and sang half their songs. Glenn Hughes is a great bassist who always sings (even in Deep Purple he was more than just a backup singer to Coverdale), he sings most of Black Country Communion's songs.

It saddens me that there are rock bands around now that have no idea that they will never be that good.

I wasn't aware that Geffen actually fired Wetton. Seems odd.

It saddens me that there are rock bands around now that have no idea that they will never be that good.
What flips my mind is that back then, when rock was coming of age, they had no back groud on how to make the music other than what they liked and based on some blues, but the bands today have tons of history to fall back on where those bands in the 60's 70's did not have.

It is really awesome the quality of music that was put out in that era.

You must like King's X, Thin Lizzy as well. Triumph had two vocalists, Gil Moore was the drummer and sang half their songs. Glenn Hughes is a great bassist who always sings (even in Deep Purple he was more than just a backup singer to Coverdale), he sings most of Black Country Communion's songs.

I wasn't aware that Geffen actually fired Wetton. Seems odd.
You would be correct. And re: Geffen and Wetton, Wetton said he was fired while Geffen said it was a mutual departure. I hold that it's hard to say they had a mutual breakup when the guy separated says it wasn't mutual.

Wetton claimed he was fired because Geffen was less than pleased with their album and concert sales in 1983. Years later, he revealed that his sacking was in part related to his alcoholism at the time. Steve Howe agreed with that revelation, which would explain why he left the band upon Wetton's return in 1984.

Obligatory "I listened to Arcade Fire before The Suburbs" post.

Chilling in a cave. Love this AI art.

IMG_20240801_200646463.jpg
Clint Black in concert last night. He played his first album start to finish. It's the Killing Time 35th anniversary tour. Had to go for 9 year old me...

Counting Crows tonight, for 3 concerts in 6 days. And yes, my music taste is all over the place.

Great progressive rock. Ive loved the Departure Songs album, but didnt think to look at their other stuff till today