Chatbox Thread

Helped my neighbor put a new alternator in his 1979 Mercedes-Benz 300D yesterday. It was still on the original one.

The new alternator was stamped "Made in Yugoslavia". Wonder how long that's been sitting on a warehouse shelf.

Anyone know of a "flexible" fiberglass resin, or a resin compatible with carbon/Kevlar so it can flex?

There are flexible urethane resins, but iirc they aren't structural. Talk to someone who does bodywork on corvettes.

Wec, you might try some of the bumper repair stuff they sell at auto stores, I used it with a piece of fiberglass cloth, but idk about the cf cloth. I had a tear from wrecking the tbird years ago. I stictched the cover together with stainless wire in the 'railroad tracks stitch an older doc showed me. Then I covered it with the resin. My doc was pissed when I showed him my cut foot I sutured up using it,lol. "that's my job",lol

Wec, you might try some of the bumper repair stuff they sell at auto stores, I used it with a piece of fiberglass cloth, but idk about the cf cloth. I had a tear from wrecking the tbird years ago. I stictched the cover together with stainless wire in the 'railroad tracks stitch an older doc showed me. Then I covered it with the resin. My doc was pissed when I showed him my cut foot I sutured up using it,lol. "that's my job",lol

1728256556203.gif

Another random chatbox question:
Q: Do you think P Diddy will get sentenced to prison or will he end up getting Epsteined before conviction?

Q: In the process of keeping himself in one piece, who else might Combs throw under the bus? Kanye has already been accused of rape by a former assistant at one of P Diddy's parties.

My guesses are Kanye West, Justin Bieber, Usher, and Will Smith. If these associates are proven, I don't think their celebrity status will protect them like (unfortunately) the politicians/billionaires whom partied with Epstein (Prince Andrew, Bill Clinton, and Bill Gates).

Pretty shitty to throw rape accusations with no proof or trial, just because people post bullshit on social media.
Fuck cancel culture.

This is an interesting question. Assuming he is guilty for the sake of discussion, I think there are 2 camps. 1. Everyone involved is wealthy and powerful enough to have him "Epsteined". 2. He's a narcissist on a crazy level and takes everyone down.

While I do think there is plenty of wealth to pay to get rid of him, I'm not sure if there truly is enough power to do so. Maybe if Soros is involved, although I don't think he or his type is.

I hope to see Jay Z and Beyonce go down. I think Diddy is the narcissist we all think he is. I wouldn't put money on either as I think they're both very possible.

Garth Brooks also got accused of rape in a suit this month. No surprises there though. He's always been a POS in my eyes. So has Chris Gaines. And where are the bodies, Garth?

"Friends in Low Places" was the 4th Quarter rally song for Tennessee football. Last night was the first home game since those allegations dropped and they replaced it with a Morgan Wallen song.

Diddy's been a POS forever. He rose to fame off of Biggie's death. "I'll Be Missing You" launched him into the mainstream and it wouldn't have happened if not for Biggie getting killed and Sting and the Police existing to provide one of the most recognizable song samples ever. Then there's the whole matter of owning Biggie's publishing rights and word of BIG wanting out of Bad Boy Records.

DIddy's acted like a mob boss from day one. It's amazing he got away with it for so long.

Garth Brooks also got accused of rape in a suit this month. No surprises there though. He's always been a POS in my eyes. So has Chris Gaines. And where are the bodies, Garth?

"Friends in Low Places" was the 4th Quarter rally song for Tennessee football. Last night was the first home game since those allegations dropped and they replaced it with a Morgan Wallen song.
I don't disagree, but replacing with Morgan Wallen? He's at best, less than classy. And his music sucks.

I don't disagree, but replacing with Morgan Wallen? He's at best, less than classy. And his music sucks.
Wallen is from Knoxville and recently held concerts in Neyland Stadium. Apparently he dropped a new song about UT at those concerts.

Here's what annoys me. Wallen called his friend the n-word while drunk. Someone caught it on a doorbell camera and sold it to the tabloids. Obviously not a great thing he did but not the worst he could have done. Still resulted in most stations taking him off the air for a while.

Garth gets accused of rape and not one country station has quit playing his music.

I look at Wallen the same way I look at Kenny Chesney. Difference is while Chesney made music for boat people in East Tennessee, Wallen makes music for boat people who fish without licenses and ignore bag limits.

Today's instrument cluster snapshot: note the trip odometer at 200+ miles, reset at every fill-up, and the fuel gauge at the half-full mark.

During a freeway road trip, this would be normal, but these past 200 miles were mixed driving. Pretty good!

The only thing different: I switched to Valvoline Restore & Protect the day before the fill-up.

I know, I know... It's just oil. I'm not claiming it's magical. But there are a lot of positive reviews out there, including observations of improved fuel economy. Alas, I may be subject to confirmation bias; the fuel gauge isn't particularly precise; conclusive observations won't present themselves for a couple of months; and so forth...

20241015_124902.jpg

Meanwhile, I still have a rare engine knock. Or shall I say, what I think is engine knock. It may also just be lugging. It's a ticking sound; the engine is perfectly smooth though.

It happens when I accelerate briskly, say 80% throttle, in 2nd and possibly to a lesser degree in 3rd gear. I can consistently reproduce it in one spot:

A highway with a 45 mph speed limit, approaching an intersection with traffic light and a sharp right turn followed by an uphill stretch, also with a 45 mph speed limit. The right turn traffic light is almost always green, and I usually turn off O/D shortly before that turn because I don't want the transmission to shift into O/D on the uphill stretch.
Because the turn is quite sharp, I slow down substantially, probably to about 20 mph or so, and I accelerate briskly immediately after the turn - though apparently not briskly enough for it to shift to 1st. It stays in 2nd until I reach 40-45 mph or so.

This uphill hard-ish acceleration in 2nd gear is when I observe said ticking. Any thoughts?