Chatbox Thread

I still have a couple leads on printers here in SoCal, so that's two of us to supply us MN12 enthusiasts with bezels 😃

Printing should get cheaper over time.
Already is. I bought a Crealty 3 Pro for $350 in 2019. The updated and improved 2024 version of it – the V2 Neo – is going for $199 today.

Now we just need reliable printers for hobbyists that have beds bigger than 125mm x 125mm.

I bought a book on making one; mcmaster has acme allthread up to 96", steppers are cheap. But, my fab skills suck now.

These guys have cheap parts.https://www.mpja.com/500mm-CNC-3D-Printer-Mechanical-Starting-Kit/productinfo/34261+LK/

I've bought stuff from these guys for years.
I bought some 100w leds, that are so bright,I can't really use them.

Already is. I bought a Crealty 3 Pro for $350 in 2019. The updated and improved 2024 version of it – the V2 Neo – is going for $199 today.

Now we just need reliable printers for hobbyists that have beds bigger than 125mm x 125mm.

Can't we just, you know, 3D print ourselves a bigger printer out of an existing printer?

Like, what's the difficulty of making that happen?

You could use the parts you have, if you can reconfigure the software. The open source stuff for diy printers is. Amazon sells everything to make one; my fab skills suck tho. I'm having to relearn how to use tools.

61 bux for the base stuff, you need acme screws.

Last edited:
A really cool variable on the whole thing would be merging the cluster and radio bezel into one piece. But that’s coming from a hoarder with nice oem pieces 😆

A really cool variable on the whole thing would be merging the cluster and radio bezel into one piece. But that’s coming from a hoarder with nice oem pieces 😆

So long as you can get the "Stereo" oval etched out, it'd be groovy.

Matt, youre the craftsman; how would you feel about building a large format 3d printer? I'd be happy to kick in, and there's a market for parts. I just can't physically build it.

Matt, youre the craftsman; how would you feel about building a large format 3d printer? I'd be happy to kick in, and there's a market for parts. I just can't physically build it.

I’m an olde tyme craftsman, i conceptually understand 3D printing but on my end I’m a tablesaw/router type craftsman. Beyond that I’m baffled by technology

I worked on printers, typewriters, and various stuff for 30 years; I could easily have built one 7 years ago. The concept is easy; You turn an acme screw with a motor that has an encoder,that tracks how much it moves, in x,y,and z axes,and a head that melts plastic, all bolted down to a surface,like a piece of plywood. I saw one at ORNL that printed a cobra.

You could physically make a larger 3D printer. It's just a print head with servos to control position in the X, Y and Z axes. A larger plate with longer arms and belts with the appropriate framework to suspend said arms/belts (and servos) is all you really need. You could build it out of lumber if you want.

Now, modifying or writing the software that controls the printer, that's the tricky part. Certain machines might have programming more customizable/accessible than others. Come to think of it, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if there are companies out there that sell "kits" with a print head and modular support/control mechanisms with customizable code for this purpose.

There used to be a company that made the "Ender Extender". It turned any Crealty printer into a 500mm x 500mm x 500mm monstrosity. Results were mixed.

You could physically make a larger 3D printer. It's just a print head with servos to control position in the X, Y and Z axes. A larger plate with longer arms and belts with the appropriate framework to suspend said arms/belts (and servos) is all you really need. You could build it out of lumber if you want.

Now, modifying or writing the software that controls the printer, that's the tricky part. Certain machines might have programming more customizable/accessible than others. Come to think of it, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if there are companies out there that sell "kits" with a print head and modular support/control mechanisms with customizable code for this purpose.

The main software is available free as open source. Find a copy of 3d printers for dummies, or I could loan my copy.
I don't physically have the finesse to put one together; I bought some parts, but haven't been able to go further.

I've never used any software, so there is probably something better. The control board is available cheap.
MPJA had parts last year that I snagged cheap, they're .5m I didn't buy electronics, or the head. I was thinking of mounting a dremel tool to cut out stuff. A milling machine or drill press could be mechanized pretty well.

I don't mean an application to open an STL and send it to a printer. I mean the software running on the printer that controls the print head. It needs to know where the print head is, how to control the print head, the servos, the limits of the hardware, etc.

That's in the firmware on the driver board, from what I've read. It's all a low level microrocessor; you load the software, it talks to the hardware. just like word, talking to a printer.

That was the airport I was planning to fly into when we went to Chicago last spring. I had made arrangements with Revv for them to have a car for us.

Small world.

That was the airport I was planning to fly into when we went to Chicago last spring. I had made arrangements with Revv for them to have a car for us.

Small world.

I remember that! If you do ever fly in there give me a ring, I’m never that far from there. I even used to eat at the Pilot Pete’s restaurant there regularly.

Small project, did I mention I bought and pseudo restored a motorcycle? 😆 Well I fixed/modded something that’s been driving me nuts. The stock rear turn signals with their long rubber stalks after 20 years have warped and sit crooked and no amount of washer stacking and bending of the brackets I tried helped, so I fixed it. I used only my hacksaw( I’m a very good hack!), a set of lamp nipples 🤭 from the hardware store and a little more bending of the brackets to get the mounting up to snuff. Saves me a few bucks on aftermarket pieces that by most accounts isn’t even that bright.

IMG_5719.jpeg

IMG_5768.jpeg

IMG_5769.jpeg

Also painted the lenses red and changed the bulbs from 1156s to 1157s to make it more overall visible. Really important since I’ve ridden the this death trap all of 10 miles all summer 😆

I think I bought new ones from dennis kirk, a few years ago. It's a pain, but I'm going to lube all the cables as soon as I finish the carbs. My manual dexterity sux, lol. Carbs also suck, have I mentioned it? :) I'm trying to find another set of inlet tubes, between the airbox and head, I'll put a set of injectors in, and use my spare eec to run it. It's an inline 4; I'm sure I can write a tune for it. :).

Small project, did I mention I bought and pseudo restored a motorcycle? 😆 Well I fixed/modded something that’s been driving me nuts. The stock rear turn signals with their long rubber stalks after 20 years have warped and sit crooked and no amount of washer stacking and bending of the brackets I tried helped, so I fixed it. I used only my hacksaw( I’m a very good hack!), a set of lamp nipples 🤭 from the hardware store and a little more bending of the brackets to get the mounting up to snuff. Saves me a few bucks on aftermarket pieces that by most accounts isn’t even that bright.

View attachment 7707

View attachment 7706

View attachment 7708

Also painted the lenses red and changed the bulbs from 1156s to 1157s to make it more overall visible. Really important since I’ve ridden the this death trap all of 10 miles all summer 😆

Nice work! Nothing like a little side project.

I think I bought new ones from dennis kirk, a few years ago. It's a pain, but I'm going to lube all the cables as soon as I finish the carbs. My manual dexterity sux, lol. Carbs also suck, have I mentioned it? :) I'm trying to find another set of inlet tubes, between the airbox and head, I'll put a set of injectors in, and use my spare eec to run it. It's an inline 4; I'm sure I can write a tune for it. :).

I like my Honda’s carbs, I run it like two-three times a month and it starts right up with some choke fiddling initially, pure simplicity. I just wish the ignition was magneto, the electronic ignition gets fussy about battery voltage 😆

Some vehicles wont push start, without voltage. I had a subaru like that.

How's the Carolina Crew doing with all the rain you've been getting? :unsure:

Joe