Post a picture you took today

I'm leaving now. Nature calls and the bathrooms here are non-existent for the public.

First time I've ever come out empty handed.

Grab it if can Jonathan, hopefully they don't want an arm and a leg.

I thought by 97 all were CA calibration? I know this supposedly is CA, but are they actually different in California?

Thanks for looking out for me Martin!

Joe

Already walked out. Sorry.

I thought by 97 all were CA calibration? I know this supposedly is CA, but are they actually different in California?

You would know by checking the emissions label under the hood. The catch code (calibration ID) would also be different. The tune itself would be the same if not very slight changes that wouldn't be noticeable. It's essentially a direct swap.

Usually PCM go for about $50 at the yards; but I've picked up a couple bad PCMs. Im always skeptical of any car in the yard with no collision damage - theyre either an engine/trans failure, or an emissions/PCM related failure.

This is gross. I wouldn't do this.

Why so?
Even if a lot of people are willing to replace things like suspension and brakes that wear out over time, people typically give up on cars after more than one major component like the engine or the transmission need replacement... Simply because the myriad of interior bits, HVAC, etc. show significant wear and tear after 300k mi.

It's a testament to how well you've taken care of your car, and/or your stubbornness, that this car is still on the road. :)

I personally question how much longer beyond 200k I will keep my Prius. I hardly ever drive now so I may never take it beyond that point before finally deciding to switch to a more modern car... Or getting my project EV actually running.

Went online to download the SYNC update for my Edge and this pulled up first on the update page. :rofl:

tbird-sync.jpg

I had about 265k on my 96 Mark when it got rear ended. There was wear and tear on the driver's seat from drying and cracking leather, but everything else looked great. When I got the LSC, it had about 130k on it and aside from some busted interior trim pieces which I promptly replaced, the leather and everything else was in remarkably good shape. In the ~80k since then, all I've done is condition the leather on occasion and vacuum the carpets once or twice a year. It still looks as good as it did the day I got it - typical for a car with probably 1/3 the mileage.

The minimal amount of care required for the result has me shake my head every time I see a trashed interior on cars with less than 100k. :sad:

Even if a lot of people are willing to replace things like suspension and brakes that wear out over time, people typically give up on cars after more than one major component like the engine or the transmission need replacement... Simply because the myriad of interior bits, HVAC, etc. show significant wear and tear after 300k mi.

It's a testament to how well you've taken care of your car, and/or your stubbornness, that this car is still on the road. :)

I personally question how much longer beyond 200k I will keep my Prius. I hardly ever drive now so I may never take it beyond that point before finally deciding to switch to a more modern car... Or getting my project EV actually running.
Update on the EV?

Update on the EV?
Life has gotten in the way.
Car is gutted. 12V wiring system completely redone and rewired using a restomod fuse panel. Now even the wipers/pop-up headlights work.
Fabricated the brackets and mounted the front mount of the LDU. Made a bottom mount bar that will pickup the rear LDU.
149.jpg

150.jpg

On the side note, taught my 9yr old son to weld his first project (xmas gift for my wife). Will post that one after xmas.

I hope to finish the LDU mounts in Jan and get the driveshafts ordered before my UTV arrives in SF and I need to prep it for the 2024 Mexican 1000 in May (need to replace the drive and driven clutches to get it ready as well as swap out the axles with beefier units so we don't need to replace them every evening post-race day.)

The minimal amount of care required for the result has me shake my head every time I see a trashed interior on cars with less than 100k. :sad:

For many people, a car is a use item and (more importantly) a "let loose" type of space.

Contrary to that, my car is the one place where I don't let loose...

Case in point, tonight's random interior shot. I love this cabin; it feels made for me.

20231212_175415.jpg

I remember reading a forum post for the bird saying it looks 'like a space ship' and thinking that was a stretch, but every once and a while I see the angle. Martin's shot here looks like it's something you drive through the spaceport before hopping a flight to a satellite

For me, a big reason why I've kept the Honda for as long as I have has been because of cost of ownership. Hondas are cheap cars to maintain. The single most expensive mechanical repair, even today, is the autotragic transmission rebuild going for as high as $2,400 and as low as $1,600...even in this economy. That said, even with a high cost rebuild, it's still cheaper to keep it repaired than to buy a newer car. I wouldn't buy a car that isn't CPO because I don't want someone else's problems. And a CPO is far more expensive to keep than the total annual costs of repairs and maintenance. I have an Excel sheet with all my maintenance and repair costs, and some years I've spent less than $600 in maintenance and repairs, oil changes included. That said, I see those maintenance and repair costs as my "car payment" with the Honda. And that "car payment" is cheaper than an actual car payment AND has made it so that my Honda has passed the 400k mile marker.

What would it take for me to replace my Honda though?

- A car accident
- Severe electrical issues

Would I like a new vehicle today? Absofuckinglutely! I'm tired and weary of the Honda. But she's reliable and cheap to keep, so she's still around.

You're doing it right, it works for you and aren't concerned about being trendy, sticking with the known entity is the way to go. I don't know why anybody in California buys anything newer than 20 years old, here nature kind of forces you to one way or another, but without rusted bodies or rusty fasteners on maintenance items, what's the point? Let the sheep buy the crossovers with the latest tech gadget with a never ending payment cycle, none of them will be working right 20 years down the road with all the outmoded electronics and canbus bullshit anyway

We're the same. We will buy a new car and run it for 15-20 years until it dies. I bought our Fusion Hybrid new in 2013. It's now at 157k and it's never seen a shop for anything other than routine maintenance.

My parents have a 2011 Jetta they also bought new. Same story there at 170k. Their 2000 Grand Cherokee hasn't had the same reliability but it's still running in 2023 after getting three kids through college.

For me, a big reason why I've kept the Honda for as long as I have has been because of cost of ownership. Hondas are cheap cars to maintain. The single most expensive mechanical repair, even today, is the autotragic transmission rebuild going for as high as $2,400 and as low as $1,600...even in this economy. That said, even with a high cost rebuild, it's still cheaper to keep it repaired than to buy a newer car. I wouldn't buy a car that isn't CPO because I don't want someone else's problems. And a CPO is far more expensive to keep than the total annual costs of repairs and maintenance. I have an Excel sheet with all my maintenance and repair costs, and some years I've spent less than $600 in maintenance and repairs, oil changes included. That said, I see those maintenance and repair costs as my "car payment" with the Honda. And that "car payment" is cheaper than an actual car payment AND has made it so that my Honda has passed the 400k mile marker.

What would it take for me to replace my Honda though?

- A car accident
- Severe electrical issues

Would I like a new vehicle today? Absofuckinglutely! I'm tired and weary of the Honda. But she's reliable and cheap to keep, so she's still around.
I agree with all you’ve said except the last statement. I have no desire for a new car, not just the payment aspect, I’ve not driven a new car that I’ve enjoyed. I despise the fly by wire.

After a year of the plane being grounded for an engine overhaul (supply chain issues are still very real in GA), the P28RT-201 Arrow is finally airworthy again. I went up in it today to get checked out and OK'd to fly it. First time I've flown a T-tail too.

arrow.jpg

I sure missed having that little lever next to the throttle quadrant that magically makes the plane go faster. The one some people call "landing gear." :biggrin:

PXL_20231215_200806453s.jpg

My cars are 27 and 26 years old with 182K and 180K respectively. They are the only two cars I've ever owned. The one caveat to my situation is that they're basically both project cars, which is where the thought process goes from practical to problematic because I don't have a true "F it, I don't care" daily driver.

I'm not against new cars per se, but they are more complicated and less DIY-friendly in numerous ways. The last new cars I was genuinely interested in buying (as used, of course) were the 2nd gen Cadillac CTS-V and the Lexus IS F, so even then, they're less fussy than cars that debuted in the 2010s and onward.

Last edited:
My Focus is the F it daily, it’s got a few modern things I HATE (TMPS, BCM) but it’s rock simple otherwise, no cruise ABS LCD screens etc which almost makes it a 90s car in spirit. unfortunately the rockers are getting bubbly on it

2CE12C7E-28A1-411B-94C4-E3EC0CAA3014.jpeg
My old daily that is now my wife's daily. This was from a trip to Blairsville, GA, yesterday. No interstates, all backroads. Ain't mad. It is by far the best car I have ever owned.

The wife is French in case you are confused.

IMG_20231209_173201308.jpg
IMG_20231209_182816375.jpgIMG_20231216_161313304.jpgIMG_20231217_162730993.jpg
Finally got to doing something with the end of the box from my Dad's truck. I was given his truck when he passed nearly 19 years ago. 6 years ago it finally go to the point it was not salvageable (Midwest winters suck). So I salvage this and made a work bench in my garage. Just need a bumper and then wire up the lights.