The Unofficial "Ask a Stupid Question" Thread

JJEE is also sport. But exactly zero 94-95s have either code lol

IMG_20240820_194859.jpg
Any opinions on this spark plug? Fresh 6.0 LS with heads and cam. Starts to pull good 3500-4000, them falls flat on it's face. Seems like it's pulling tons of timing.

Thanks for all of your replies! I could have made it work if I wanted to use my old shock mount. They ARE indeed left and right handed. My old shock mount was not in good condition so I just ordered another and I'm going to be driving 900 miles with one new shock and one old shock. Oh well.

Ass cheek compressor... love it!

I've got a transmission fluid question. I have a 1990 with the AOD and my question is for people who have done a fluid change. About how much fluid will come out when I drop the pan and the filter? I am trying to get an approximate number now so I don't buy too much or too little. Second, This car has been in the family for its whole life and I know for a fact that the transmission fluid has not been touched in at least 10 years, maybe more, so I assume its still Mercon in there and not Mercon V, should I buy Mercon V and put it in or should I buy just Mercon? is there any risk to mixing them? Lastly, I'm Canadian and the best place for me to buy fluid is Canadian Tire, they have Motomaster fluid and im wondering if anyone has experience with it, I assume it would be fine? I've have not heard anything good or bad. Thanks for any input

You should also have a drain plug on the converter. If you drain that too I would probably get 13-14 quarts just to be safe. You can always take it back to the store if you don't use it.

It has been over 20 years since I changed trans fluid in an AOD. Back then Dexron/Mercon was easy to find and Mercon V was hard to find. From what I recall, initially Ford said Mercon V was not backward compatible, but now they say it is. The Motorcraft Mercon V bottles state it is backwards compatible. I'd probably run it. It is a pretty quality fluid.

I've never heard of MotoMaster fluid. Is that some kind of Canadian Tire house brand?

Yes it is a Canadian tire brand of fluid, I might have one sitting in the shop to see who actually formulates it, I wasn't planning on draining the converter but if its easy and risk free then I might do it, thanks for the help

I've never heard of MotoMaster fluid. Is that some kind of Canadian Tire house brand?
Yes. I actually run MotoMaster winter tires. They also have batteries and other automotive items. It's the Canadian Equivalent to DieHard or RoadHandler.

Lastly, I'm Canadian and the best place for me to buy fluid is Canadian Tire, they have Motomaster fluid and im wondering if anyone has experience with it, I assume it would be fine?
The MotoMaster Mercon V is what you want. It'll do just fine for what you need. Draining the converter is easy so definitely do it. Don't forget a new filter.

I used motomaster mercon v when I did my jmod in the white car. No complaints here.
Except I had to go to 2 stores to get the 12 or 13 quarts I needed..

Ok awesome that's what I'll get then, I've got a brand new wix filter and gasket. Also, How'd you get Motomaster tires down in the states? I'm curious, lots of people run then here as a good budget option

I just buy a case of 12 quarts of Motorcraft MercV on Amazon. Too hard to find in stores, and those that DO carry it want like $12-$14/qt.

I can get it for $10.50 CDN per quart and they got 37 of em in stock

I know people have mixed feelings about universal fluids, but I've been running Valvoline MaxLife for several months now, and smoothness remains consistent (which is to say slightly better than before with Mercon V).

My experience is based on 4r70w, but generally speaking:
  • Pan drop is easiest if you first siphon out the fluid through the dipstick tube (approx. 4 quarts)
  • Torque converter drain in my case filled up a 7-quart pan to the rim
  • If you don't want to go through any of this, you can flush the system by disconnecting a cooler line and running it to a waste container; then start the engine while a helper pours fresh fluid into the dipstick tube
Tip: make sure to mark the location of the torque converter drain plug on the crankshaft pulley; it'll make things much easier next time.

so I gotta turn the engine by hand to get the tc drain plug to show, then just drain it and re plug it I guess? thats not too bad

I know people have mixed feelings about universal fluids, but I've been running Valvoline MaxLife for several months now, and smoothness remains consistent (which is to say slightly better than before with Mercon V).

My experience is based on 4r70w, but generally speaking:
  • Pan drop is easiest if you first siphon out the fluid through the dipstick tube (approx. 4 quarts)
  • Torque converter drain in my case filled up a 7-quart pan to the rim
  • If you don't want to go through any of this, you can flush the system by disconnecting a cooler line and running it to a waste container; then start the engine while a helper pours fresh fluid into the dipstick tube
Tip: make sure to mark the location of the torque converter drain plug on the crankshaft pulley; it'll make things much easier next time.
I wouldn’t run Maxlife in a 4r70. My issue is not with universal fluids, but rather that the Maxlife fluid is a much thinner viscosity than the MerconIII or V. It is compatible with the MerconLV, which is similar to the DexronVI. Putting Maxlife in a 4r70 is comparable to putting 0w20 in an engine that calls for 10w30. Yes it will work, but probably not ideal! If I were you, I would drain that out and get some MerconV in there. It doesn’t have to be Motorcraft, the parts store brands are fine as long as they say MerconV, but as good a fluid as the Maxlife is, it is simply wrong for this application.

I wouldn’t run Maxlife in a 4r70. My issue is not with universal fluids, but rather that the Maxlife fluid is a much thinner viscosity than the MerconIII or V. It is compatible with the MerconLV, which is similar to the DexronVI. Putting Maxlife in a 4r70 is comparable to putting 0w20 in an engine that calls for 10w30. Yes it will work, but probably not ideal! If I were you, I would drain that out and get some MerconV in there. It doesn’t have to be Motorcraft, the parts store brands are fine as long as they say MerconV, but as good a fluid as the Maxlife is, it is simply wrong for this application.

Ok, I hear you. But I respectfully disagree. In fact, for the reasoning you described, Valvoline was at some point prohibited from selling MaxLife in California as a Mercon V substitute.

Valvoline responded to that concern in detail. I only remember bits of it... IIRC, [edit: I don't remember a whole lot, so I'm deleting this part so not to start rumors...]

I did not take that decision lightly. I did a lot of research back then. I'll try to find the actual documents. Long story short, viscosity ratings only tell part of the story.

Last edited:
Also, How'd you get Motomaster tires down in the states? I'm curious, lots of people run then here as a good budget option
I pick them up in Windsor on my way back over the Ambassador and bring them back home to be mounted and balanced. They're made by Cooper and sold here under the Cooper name, but buying them at CT is usually significantly cheaper with the exchange rate.

They're the best winter tire that you can get for the money. I run them on all our FWD cars in the winter including the Fusion. Our 4x4s have Michelin ATs that get run year-round.

Or just get a $5 siphoning hand pump.

You're welcome to do it however you like; to each their own. :)

I maintain that you'll get more fluid out with less effort with the pan having a drain plug (remove then walk away for 20 minutes while the converter drains).

The older cars need to have the pan upgraded to the deep sump model anyway, so in those cases it's two birds with one stone.

You're welcome to do it however you like; to each their own. :)

I maintain that you'll get more fluid out with less effort with the pan having a drain plug (remove then walk away for 20 minutes while the converter drains).

The older cars need to have the pan upgraded to the deep sump model anyway, so in those cases it's two birds with one stone.
I totally agree that I should get the deep transmission pan, however, its simply too costly for me right now to get it here in Canada, I've only ever found them in the States and shipping is brutal

Anyone used the stock fibreglass hood from here:

Just wondering if there were any opinions on the quality, fit etc. I'm also not sure how much the stock hood weighs to compare against the 23 lbs this fibreglass one weighs.

That's Josh's car in the picture at the bottom, you could try reaching out to him, OxmanWI

Joe

I’m trying to finish up my collection of parts for my T45 swap, one of the last few things on my list is a driveshaft. Going off of XR7-4.6’s write up I need a 94 + civilian crown Vic driveshaft.

So, my stupid question is. Will an aluminum driveshaft out of an, let's say, 2008 NON p71 crown Vic work too?
It’s labeled as a 114.7” wheel base.

The police car driveshafts are 1” shorter than the civilian ones due to the police cars having the extended tailshaft housing on the trans. It will get you down the road, but it is not ideal.

The police car driveshafts are 1” shorter than the civilian ones due to the police cars having the extended tailshaft housing on the trans. It will get you down the road, but it is not ideal.
This one in question is not a police package with an aluminum driveshaft.

Quick questions while I'm at the junkyard:

On '96 Sable, is the cluster backlighting green or blue? I know it's blue on Taurus.

The '96 electronic gear indicator on floorshift Taurus/Sable, where does it get it's feed from? I know it has eight wires. '97/'98 Marks have an electronic indicator, too; how is that wired?

Quick questions while I'm at the junkyard:

On '96 Sable, is the cluster backlighting green or blue? I know it's blue on Taurus.

The '96 electronic gear indicator on floorshift Taurus/Sable, where does it get it's feed from? I know it has eight wires. '97/'98 Marks have an electronic indicator, too; how is that wired?
I know the cluster backlighting is green, I’m sitting in my sable now. 😂

I can’t answer the floor shifter question, I have a column shifter.