The Unofficial "Ask a Stupid Question" Thread

If you want to clean and protect an engine, run Amsoil OE synthetic

Well, my question relates specifically to the new Valvoline product, Restore & Protect. They claim it uses an entirely new chemistry for removing sediments. Allegedly a proprietary molecule (?).

I'm just curious how it affects the filter.

Coming up is my first post and stupid question. This question is because, while I've been here long enough, I apparently haven't been part of the MN12 / FN10 community long enough to know.

What does "TSTSNBN" stand for?​

I know it's obviously something to do with Thunderbirds and Cougars of the MN12 generation, but I don't know what it actually means.
TSTSNBN is “The Site That Shall Not Be Named” AKA our former Ad packed, Canadian owned and operated forum.

Well, my question relates specifically to the new Valvoline product, Restore & Protect. They claim it uses an entirely new chemistry for removing sediments. Allegedly a proprietary molecule (?).

I'm just curious how it affects the filter.
I got some yesterday but haven't changed it yet. I saw the video where the guy cut open the filter after a couple hundred miles and it was sludged up bad, which indicates the oil is doing it's job as intended.

I need to change out my fram filter to my Motocraft filter. After 1000 miles, I am sure its worn out.

First thing I learned about these cars, was that fram filters makes the valves rattle on startup, motorcraft do not.

I know for a while @Boston-Bull was cutting open filters and sharing his findings. I thought Purolator was making the Motorcraft filters (at least for a time, if not still) and the biggest plus, aside from filter matter surface area, was the anti-drainback valve.

Well, let it be said I am not lazy. I got the black oil out and fresh oil in. New filter, dated and milage on it, and some additives I had laying around.
I believe I have a Purolator in my filter box.
The Fram filter was huge compared to the Motorcraft filter. It was a high mileage filter.

I used to run Frams on my old '92 V6 Thunderbird. It had 260k miles when the rear shock mounts rusted out. Engine ran great and didn't burn a drop of oil. Their Tough Guard (TG) and Extra Guard (XG) are pretty decent filters. Nowadays I mostly run Wix or Napa Gold.

I used to run Frams on my old '92 V6 Thunderbird. It had 260k miles when the rear shock mounts rusted out. Engine ran great and didn't burn a drop of oil. Their Tough Guard (TG) and Extra Guard (XG) are pretty decent filters. Nowadays I mostly run Wix or Napa Gold.
I wonder if the Frams you ran "back in the day" where quality built as compared to the way they are built now.

I always used Fram since I have had cars, as I was told they were one of the best. Now I hear all these horror stories about the insides are just crap and won't filter out a turd word, let a lone a dirt particle.

I used to use the dreaded orange can of death o_O filters with the textured grippy end surface (this was back in the mid-late 90's-early 2000's). It got either those or Purolators for over 150k miles. The shock towers rusted out around 2006 I believe. I think consistent and proper maintenance had more of an effect than what brand oil and filter was in it to a point. Certainly if you are running recycled oil you got from the corner gas station, that probably won't help. Engines these days are also more sensitive since they are using the oil to control things as well as lubricate.

This could be stupid, or super helpful. Anyone find a good alternative to the plastic nuts that hold the trunk carpet in place at the far rear of the car? Mine are stripped and I'm afraid those I'd get from TBSC shop would be too. Thinking a newer car might have something that would work. Wouldn't even mind cargo net holders of they worked

This could be stupid, or super helpful. Anyone find a good alternative to the plastic nuts that hold the trunk carpet in place at the far rear of the car? Mine are stripped and I'm afraid those I'd get from TBSC shop would be too. Thinking a newer car might have something that would work. Wouldn't even mind cargo net holders of they worked
I went to the yard and pulled as many as I could find to replace the ones in my cars. They are holding well.....
....as long as I don't touch them.

Are you referring to the screw-in ones that screw onto a threaded shaft to hold the trunk material in place?

I went to the yard and pulled as many as I could find to replace the ones in my cars. They are holding well.....
....as long as I don't touch them.

Are you referring to the screw-in ones that screw onto a threaded shaft to hold the trunk material in place?
Yep, those are the ones.

It looks like I'm going to be grabbing an AJE K member set. No idea if this makes sense, but is there any issue combining that with SCP's front subframe lower engine cradle brace?

It looks like I'm going to be grabbing an AJE K member set. No idea if this makes sense, but is there any issue combining that with SCP's front subframe lower engine cradle brace?
You'd have to ask Bill at SCP, as the contact point at the K may not be the same.

I'd also like to swap out the apparently-infamous-for-melting brake light bulb in the Sport spoiler. How do you get access to the bulb? Does the cover just pry off?