The Unofficial "Ask a Stupid Question" Thread

I want a pi intake for a non pi motor. What car can I look at a junk yard Donner. Is it off of a 99-2004 mustang? I went through so many threads and could find a definitive answer.

I want a pi intake for a non pi motor. What car can I look at a junk yard Donner. Is it off of a 99-2004 mustang? I went through so many threads and could find a definitive answer.

There’s technically no such thing. A PI intake is a PI intake, all versions are made for a PI motor. All need a little RTV assistance on the coolant port that doesn’t match the gasket shape.

Literally every 4.6 except those used in trucks from 01-2011ish( I forget if the Panther ended then or 2012) is a PI intake, same as the 99-04 Mustangs. 99-01ish you want to make sure is an aluminum crossover rather than plastic and especially making sure it’s a Ford and not a Dorman

And you need the coolant tube from the valley, and the nipple, that requires removing the Water Pump. The npi one wont fit in the valley.

I bought this, but all out of stock now. https://www.modularheadshop.com/i-24493620-2v-npi-to-pi-swap-kit.html?ref=search:https://www.modularheadshop.com/search.html?q=pi+nipple&go=Go

Panther ended in '12, gm too. (I've been looking for engines.) There's a pic somewhere showing the mod. Not adding the rtv will drain the coolant into #8. All the coolant,lol.

You need this stuff: https://www.modularheadshop.com/i-24493620-2v-npi-to-pi-swap-kit.html NO ONE has a pi intake itself except an old motor.
Te alternator bracket is different, so you need it.
O-rings for waterpump, alt bracket,nipple and tube. Ultra copper or ultra black rtv for the#8 inlet, and new gaskets. You need to find the pic; do we have an article, or is it on tstsnbn?

Last edited:
The cars mentioned and the 4.6 2V Explorer and Mountaineer will have the PI intake as well.

Some information on Page 2 of this thread about telling the difference between an OEM Ford intake and aftermarket.

This guy installs an Explorer intake on a T-Bird (copy and paste the address but take the space out between // and vimeo since I can't link it here)
https:// vimeo.com/121737911

I give up. How do you remove the oil dipstick tube from a 95 Tbird? I'm trying to remove the head and the tube is holding me up. It is unbolted from the head but stuck in the block?

That's a better approach than what I did!

What I recall doing was vise-grips on the bottom of the tube, then prying/whacking upward on them until it came out. The tube was crushed and trashed, so I replaced it with a flexible Lokar. From what I understand reinstalling it is as much of a pain as trying to get it out, so the Lokar was a good investment from a potential time/frustration savings perspective.

Here's the relevant post from my build thread WBW...

theterminator93 said:
XR7-4.6 said:
For the dipstick tube, clamp on vice grips and hammer them up from the bottom.

And get a lokar for the new one. The stock one's harder to put in than take out.

Thanks for the heads up - I'm going to replace some of the hard to get at parts (heater hoses, oil filter adapter gasket, etc.) and try and clean things up a bit before I tackle that dipstick tube. I've got all winter to do this thing - I don't want to start rushing and regret it later.
:smile:

I'm still not sure about the motor mounts. I'd like to replace them but since I don't have an engine hoist I'm not sure how I'd tackle them.

Just don't grip it with vicegerips, and beat them with a hammer. I heard that one from a jy guy, when I called looking for one. :rolleyes2:
Dang, B; we crossposted. Dude at jy told me the Guy ruined about 5 before they noticed.

Last edited:
My washer fluid leaked out the other day, the barbed fitting on one end of the hose connecter broke off. I fixed it with a barbed brass coupler. But this old piece is clearly a filter. How important is it, and where to find a new one?

Broken off end on the right.
View attachment 8141
I got this valve from Advance and put it in today.

Didn't work. No flow either way (no arrow on the thing), I couldn't even blow air through it. I just put the brass coupler back on, there's no delay in the spray even after waiting 30 minutes.