The Unofficial "Ask a Stupid Question" Thread

I'd also like to swap out the apparently-infamous-for-melting brake light bulb in the Sport spoiler. How do you get access to the bulb? Does the cover just pry off?

The sport spoiler is LED, there is no bulb to melt anything. The infamous melting problem in the CHMSL is in non-sports with the incandescent bulbs in the package tray light

I think you press on the sides or there are two screws on the sides...
Been a long time since I had to replace my melted light lens.

Anyone know what these wires go to in the door? I've connected the lock actuator and keyhole light. My guess was the keyless every pad, but my car does not have that. I assumed all harnesses have it for simplicity?IMG_20240928_202355740.jpg

Do the FRONT 94/95 wheel well liners also fit the 96/97 birds? Or are they different because of the bumper cover?

EDIT: Clarification added

Last edited:
Not exactly sure where these are coming from. On my 95, there is some sort of vacuum bottle near the A-pillar inside the fender. They look very similar to what you are showing. On my car they go through a hole in the unibody up near the main power connector and attach to the vacuum bottle under the fender liner, very close to the antenna connection.

Not exactly sure where these are coming from. On my 95, there is some sort of vacuum bottle near the A-pillar inside the fender. They look very similar to what you are showing. On my car they go through a hole in the unibody up near the main power connector and attach to the vacuum bottle under the fender liner, very close to the antenna connection.

See above

Do the FRONT 94/95 wheel well liners also fit the 96/97 birds? Or are they different because of the bumper cover?

EDIT: Clarification added

Identical. Cougar ones are identical too, all bumper covers were molded to fit the existing 89 design

Is there any way to tell the 6-psi and 9-psi versions of the Allen supercharger apart from pictures or their sticker? Maybe pulley size?

Last edited:
I got some yesterday but haven't changed it yet. I saw the video where the guy cut open the filter after a couple hundred miles and it was sludged up bad, which indicates the oil is doing it's job as intended.

Have you done your oil change with Restore & Protect yet? If so, any initial observations?

Inside the VSS is a magnetic pickup that counts pulses on an internal reluctor. The pulses are what both drive the odometer AND the speedometer, and indeed you can read the speed in reverse if you’re about to pull a Rockford 😆

I want to drop the drive train down to the floor and floor jack it out. How high, or rather how much clearance do I need from the floor and the bottom of the car?

I've used my sears 3 Ton jackstands to do a trans on each car,using a low profile trans jack to pull it out. Usually on a carport. I used to be able to do it by hand, with a helper removed the top two bolts. but I got hit with an old stick. Just don't do it on a soft lawn, after a rain. as it fell off the stands I rolled out the side, and the jackstand went thru the gas tank. But I had a spare, lol. Don't do that, ok? But I like to live dangerously, lol.

Related to the in defense of cupholders thread, I have that orange button in the center console for remotely opening the gas cap door. How do I open that door if the battery is dead? It's never happened yet but that's not to say that next week it will decide to screw with me.

My washer fluid leaked out the other day, the barbed fitting on one end of the hose connecter broke off. I fixed it with a barbed brass coupler. But this old piece is clearly a filter. How important is it, and where to find a new one?

Broken off end on the right.
IMG_20241008_140056790.jpg

Question about oil changes...

Recently I've seen a few tutorials for newer Fords. After completing the oil change, apparently people go through a routine where they crank the engine without starting it to distribute the oil. From what I understood, on some newer Fords, if you hold down the throttle and brake (?) while cranking, the engine won't start.

Is that a thing? Should you do that? If so, how would you do it on an older Ford?

My washer fluid leaked out the other day, the barbed fitting on one end of the hose connecter broke off. I fixed it with a barbed brass coupler. But this old piece is clearly a filter. How important is it, and where to find a new one?

Broken off end on the right.
View attachment 8141
I found this part on TBSC, it's a check valve. I assume to keep fluid in the line from draining back down so it will flow with no delay the next time.

I have a shortblock question: I know there is a hole to drill to use a 2v head on a 4v block, but will a 3v block work with a 2v or 4v head?

I have a shortblock question: I know there is a hole to drill to use a 2v head on a 4v block, but will a 3v block work with a 2v or 4v head?

Should be 2V compatible. The hole in the block is for the water pump bypass, which is internal through the head on 3Vs like it is the 2Vs. 4Vs have the bypass off on a rubber hose off the crossover going to the remote thermostat housing

Cool. I spoke with the jy guy, and he mentioned he ad a bunch of 3v engines. for some reason no one wanted them,lol. If I run into issues with the teksid, I can pick one of those up for half what a Merc gran marquis costs.
After the noises Laz made when it died, I can't wait to take it apart and see the carnage. :)