What did you do with your Thunderbird Today?

What do you guys think of this kit? Pretty cheap, it does use cheapy oil lines but it should be good enough.

Define cheap? My Hayden cooler cost half that and that was all I ever spent on a trans cooler. The lines were from the parts store and probably cost under $10, spliced into the stock hardlines. What you do not want are rubber lines all the way from the transmission to the cooler and back, which it seems like that kit does.

How'd everything fit?
Overall well. There was some tweaking and minor clearancing to make things fit well. It isn’t a 2 hour swap, and it doesn’t have the same level of precision as a factory original piece, but I am happy I got it. The simplicity and accessibility it gives under the car is pretty great.

I had also went with a manual steering rack and a/c delete beforehand, so I am about as minimal as it gets around and beneath the engine compartment.

Define cheap? My Hayden cooler cost half that and that was all I ever spent on a trans cooler. The lines were from the parts store and probably cost under $10, spliced into the stock hardlines. What you do not want are rubber lines all the way from the transmission to the cooler and back, which it seems like that kit does.
Yea this kit is all rubber hose front to back, why is only rubber a bad idea?? I currently have a Hayden cooler also fitted to cut metal trans lines. It does work fine but just wanted, was thinking of upgrading to the trucool 40k cooler .

What do you guys think of this kit? Pretty cheap, it does use cheapy oil lines but it should be good enough.
Is this for a tranny cooler?
I hate to say this, but shop around some more. I am not at my PC, so I can't share my pics of when I did mine, but I know I did not pay that much for my kit. That is hoses, etc. I did have to buy separate brass fittings for the engine rad, the kit fittings where not the same thread. I think I did a write up too.

Last edited:
The big problem with all metal lines, is coming out of the side of the trans. To come out with a 3/8" line, it won't bend that far without kinking. The threads in the side of the trans are BPST(British pipe straight threads) I bought an adapter, bpst to npt, screwed a full flow 90 on that,and screwed my NPT lines into the 90. The hole in the trans is smaller than 1/4"npt, imho.

The big problem with all metal lines, is coming out of the side of the trans. To come out with a 3/8" line, it won't bend that far without kinking. The threads in the side of the trans are BPST(British pipe straight threads) I bought an adapter, bpst to npt, screwed a full flow 90 on that,and screwed my NPT lines into the 90. The hole in the trans is smaller than 1/4"npt, imho.
That’s a problem that I have, I have no idea what threads or size fittings it would need so a kit like that makes it easier for dummies like me.

Got this power steering hose off OXMAN on the FB marketplace. The old one is leaking. I seen on the write up how it’s recommended to sand down the fitting to allow oil from the evo to flow inside without restriction. It seems tho, that this fitting wasn’t seated all the way down based off the teflon on the Teflon tape on the threads.

Is it absolutely necessary to grind it down or can I get away with how it is with the Teflon tape?

Also do I need to drop the K to gain access to the port up top ?? Cant remember.

View attachment 1722351114296.jpeg

No you don’t need to drop the K member or rack to install that hose, pulling the pulley from the pump helps a ton though.

Teflon tape won’t seal that fitting, and the fitting isn’t NPT so it needs to seat flush with the pump with a Teflon seal ring or it will gush fluid, ask me how I know. Thus yes that fitting needs to be shortened in order for the EVO port to be open, because for some reason the engineers put it in the middle of the threads

I removed a seized driver's side rear brake caliper from my SC today and started to prepare to put in another. Notice the absence of the top-end bushing in the endlink. I'll bet THAT is noisy!

Attachments

• 20240730_162438.jpg
    20240730_162438.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 14
  • 20240730_162507.jpg
    20240730_162507.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 15
IMG_20240804_175232770.jpg
Finally got the pig started again.

Something's up with it. Idk if its just the throttle body with the custom lever (because Explorer) but it doesn't want to idle. Had to adjust the TB screw a lot. And even then it won't catch itself. Have to blip the throttle so it can have a second.

Also had to mess with the oil cooler alot. Kept having leaks. Seems to be ok now. But I think a valve cover is leaking. I think.

One of my buddy's in hs had one; we took it everywhere, but we took another buddy's bug all the same places. :) I always think of that when I see somebody with their $40k side by side, lol. Those cars were 2k and 3k in '74.

That press fit dipstick tube on the Lima engine is a PIA! Had to goop mine up and put some different size o-ring in it to stop the leaking.

I am at the stage of Plumber's nightmare routing the IC tubes around the AC lines.

Attachments

• PXL_20240804_214932703.jpg
    PXL_20240804_214932703.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 6
🤔 That's my bread and butter. I could re-route those AC lines and air charge tubes like a pipe wizard.

You don't want to know what our nightmares consist of.
I have seen those nightmares in my bill.

View attachment 6955

Something like this ?? From my shops T&M tag .. 🤭

Minimum is 2 hours just to show up; 4 if I pick up a tool. 🤫
Yes, and why I learned plumbing. I was lucky though and had a plumber that used to teach me everything he knew. I am also lucky because i have a crawl space to access the pipes. Everyone else in the neighborhood has floors of concrete and have to jackhammer it up to replace the pipes.

🤔 That's my bread and butter. I could re-route those AC lines and air charge tubes like a pipe wizard.

You don't want to know what our nightmares consist of.
Dang, you are on the other coast!