Chatbox Thread

Can someone tell me the names of the grounds our cars use? Where it's like 10 wires in a plastic rectangle with a single fastener?
I'm trying to find new ones and can't.

They are similar to this style, with the plastic cover recommended to the right on the page.

Any one have a side profile sketch or diagram of our cars? Specifically an 89 or 94 style opposed to a 96? cde47fad4241cf3236f1b9b16dc82e64.jpg
Similar to this, but obviously of our cars.

I wonder if this is a good place to start:

I just don't know if .dxf files are inherently safe, or if they are somehow able to hide naughty LISP routines in them

Sketchup is free. If that doesnt work, convert to dwg and PM it to me. Curious how much work it would take to trim it down to a simplified vector drawing

I wonder if this is a good place to start:

I just don't know if .dxf files are inherently safe, or if they are somehow able to hide naughty LISP routines in them

Sketchup is free. If that doesnt work, convert to dwg and PM it to me. Curious how much work it would take to trim it down to a simplified vector drawing
Thank you, but I'm not a computer guy so I'm very confused to what I'm looking at and what it could be used for. They are VERY detailed models but idk if I can print them and sketch on them easily

I have 3dsmax, I'll look at this later. I tried to bs my way to a set of the engineering files for our cars, and saw that they were for a unix based cad package, before I got thrown out of their computers, lol. I almost got one of the computers in a dumpster dive, but the hard drives had been sanitized with a hammer. :)

Oh go figure Sketchup isn't quite that free

A .stl is available. Looks like I'll be 3D printing Thunderbird models for the kid.

Thunderbird Door Mouldings.JPG
Closest I've found so far. If anyone has others that would be great. Thank you.

Are you looking for a sketch just like this one??
I'd love one if it exists.

I'm planning a livery but would like to sketch it out instead of free handing it on the car.

Im moving into a place with a "whole house fan." I love it but I've never heard of it. Anyone remember those?

Basically .. just a ventilation system. No heat or cooling. 🤔

I have one in my house, use it all the time when it's nice out. They definitely can be nice.

Do they make a difference when it's this hot out? :unsure:

Joe

A ton. We had one when we lived up north.

Im moving into a place with a "whole house fan." I love it but I've never heard of it. Anyone remember those?
Used to have them as a kid when I lived in the Chicago area.

Our house in northern Pennsylvania had both AC and a whole house fan. On super hot days, we'd run the AC. Once the outside temperature dropped after sunset, we'd open windows and turn the fan on. On days where it didn't go above 75° we'd just use the fan.

Provided your house is well insulated, it's a huge savings on your energy bills to use one. I think they draw 75% of the energy the HVAC+AC units do. I've considered adding one to our house now for the spring/fall months since our house only has one HVAC system.

Only downside is the noise. The last house we had with one was built in 1994 with a belt drive fan mounted between the ceiling joists. I don't know if newer fans are quieter, but the one in that house was loud enough that you couldn't run it while sleeping in the upstairs bedrooms.

Yea its pretty loud, and does weird things to the air pressure.Id never have heard of it until recently. The switch is a dangling chain which wasn't the best call. Ideally it would have an analogue countdown timer somewhere on the wall

Ours was plugged into an outlet in the attic that was controlled by a light switch in the hallway. Same setup as a sink disposal. Not sure if that's "code" but it worked.

It's a negative pressure system that is conceptually similar to a bathroom exhaust fan, just scaled up significantly, so you need to replace the exhausted air by opening your windows and drawing in fresh air. You're looking at 1.5-3 CFM per square foot of living space depending on how much of a breeze you want, so the total airflow is typically going to be in the range of 3000-9000 CFM.

Since the system depends on drawing in outside air, it's not a suitable solution in the South. The way to achieve the evaporative cooling effect on the skin here is with ceiling fans in every room to reduce but not eliminate A/C demand.

It can be used in the south in order to cycle out hot stagnant air before turning the AC on. But you are correct that it's not a replacement for AC. Especially since it doesn't dehumidify.

Many houses here have an attic fan which is basically the same thing but only cycles air through the attic.

I've set up fans to circulate air, but a whole house fan would be useless for me. Outside air is 98 degrees, with 80% humidity. A thunderstorm came up the yalley earlier, and the humidity went to 100%, I said fuckit and went in, to the ac. 73 inside, lol.

98° with a RH of 80% would be a dew point of 91°. :bs:

The highest dew point in the world right now is 84°. The rain forests have a dew point of 75° or so. The highest DP ever recorded was 95°, in Saudi Arabia 20 years ago. 100% humidity at 95 degrees! The highest dew point measured in the US was 90°, in Melbourne FL in the '80s. 🥵:zpuke:

It can be used in the south in order to cycle out hot stagnant air before turning the AC on. But you are correct that it's not a replacement for AC. Especially since it doesn't dehumidify.

Many houses here have an attic fan which is basically the same thing but only cycles air through the attic.

I heard it has an attic fan but the inspector couldn't determine how it starts. Maybe someone disabled it after installing that. Inspector recommended adding a gable fan, but I think he wasn't a f-... proponent of the big one

Thinking about a gable fan for the attic just to help cool it down. I've heard pros and cons about them, especially if the house already has soffit and ridge vents.

Joe

Today it's 80, and raining. I think that's over 100% humidity, lol. This is supposed to be the high for today.
If derphound is driving home today, he's fucked; there's a wreck at lenoir city exit on I75 south, and it's backed up for 15 miles. Some days traffic here is hell.
Harriman, Harriman, TN88.2 °F89.0 %ESE at 4.0 mph--361.0 ft4:04 pm CDT