Post a picture you took today

In 1974, realize the competition; everything else was either a 1000 cc "japanese shitbox", or a v8 luxobarge. Those probably got 15 mpg! That's awesome for a 5.0 v-8 of that era.these were sexy as hell for the period. The Camaro and firebird ate them alive with the 6.6l v8, but compared to the toyotas, tbirds, andPintos, those rocked! This killer babe I knew had a black and gold firebird with a 6.6l got 8mpg around town. I'd hate to know how much it cost for the beach trip we took.

I don't think my dad has ever bothered measuring the economy of his T/A. Maybe I'll ask and see what he says. :) It's a 76 with the 455.

I just hate that the babe I knew punched hers thru a guardrail at over 100mph, and killed both of them. :(
They were the last awesome of that era, really. In 1966, gas was as low as $.19 a gallon; in '78 when I got the IT, it was at $.50; and by 1980 ( HS for me, it was over $1.00. I drove a 63 tbird to HS. That 390 ate gas like crazy ,lol. A buddy had a vw bug, and you could fill it up for $10, and drive a week. $10 took me to the lake and back, lol.

In 1974, realize the competition; everything else was either a 1000 cc "japanese shitbox", or a v8 luxobarge. Those probably got 15 mpg! That's awesome for a 5.0 v-8 of that era.these were sexy as hell for the period. The Camaro and firebird ate them alive with the 6.6l v8, but compared to the toyotas, tbirds, andPintos, those rocked! This killer babe I knew had a black and gold firebird with a 6.6l got 8mpg around town. I'd hate to know how much it cost for the beach trip we took.

It’s a fatter heavier and uglier Pinto.

In 1974 there was no V8 option in the Mustang II period, just like the 89-90 MN12s, the 2.8 cologne V6 was the top option even in the Mach 1. Ford stuffed the 302 and it’s whopping 130 horsepower into it in 1975 after extensive retooling of the rad support and all it did was make it nose heavy.

Looking out into the rain where my freshly washed Bird gets dirty...I am pondering the concept of luxury in automobiles.

Well, I started thinking about that category of "Personal Luxury Car". What does luxury mean here exactly? Consider that Thunderbird in the 90s was, iirc, less expensive than say Taurus.

I realize that I think of luxury mostly in terms of aesthetics (rather than in terms of feature content). A two-door immediately looks more luxurious to me for example. Overall length helps a lot.

This is the least expensive car I've owned, yet it feels the most luxurious!

20241001_124208.jpg

Be as pedantic as you want when I'm wrong,lol! I can remember seeing the first load of the mustang 2's coming off the truck. I fell in love with a blue on white cobra!
1b52dc279646daba8ed0b1ea5c564f36732d2e41.jpeg
Nice Pinto.

Looking out into the rain where my freshly washed Bird gets dirty...I am pondering the concept of luxury in automobiles.

Well, I started thinking about that category of "Personal Luxury Car". What does luxury mean here exactly? Consider that Thunderbird in the 90s was, iirc, less expensive than say Taurus.

I realize that I think of luxury mostly in terms of aesthetics (rather than in terms of feature content). A two-door immediately looks more luxurious to me for example. Overall length helps a lot.

This is the least expensive car I've owned, yet it feels the most luxurious!

View attachment 7949
It is a shame she is on the street.

Pinto's never came with 5.0's. And all the foxbodys are the same, lol. Fairmont parts interchange too. I have a 3.55 gearset from a '80 fairmont in an irs diff I'm rebuilding.

My comment was more based on the looks of those than their practicality. I'm glad I didn't live thru the 70's to see that gas/oil crisis.

Pinto's never came with 5.0's. And all the foxbodys are the same, lol. Fairmont parts interchange too. I have a 3.55 gearset from a '80 fairmont in an irs diff I'm rebuilding.
The Mustang II isn’t a fox body, the only thing they have in common is the steering rack, which is basically the same as our rack. Mustang IIs didn’t come with 8.8s either, the 8.8 didn’t even come into existence until 79 IIRC

The 5.0 in the Mustang II is weaker than most V6s, it’s not much to brag about

"After insurance totals your car, go to the yard that has it and buy it back"

For parts at least. Damn parts are getting harder and harder to find. Busted a hub cap and only found one on eBay for $10.

Went to a car show at a local church today, about 35 miles away. This makes three years I've gone to this one.View attachment 7909

Here's one for the Lincoln fans.
View attachment 7910

Judges selected this one as best of show
View attachment 7911
That's my buddy Nick Dominick's Maverick. It's name is Spooky. He's in the Maverick/Comet car club I'm in. It is a wicked ride. He even Jack's it up in his garage and waxes the frame. Drives the hell out of it too.

Last edited:
To continue my pedanticicism. The Cobra II wasnt a thing until 1977! (Possibly 76 without looking it up). Top line Mustang IIs in 1974 was the Mach 1 with the 2.8l cologne V6. Ford had to modify the crap out of the nose to fit the V8 302.

They were shitboxesV8 or V6. Still not as bad as a Mach E though!
'76 was the 1st yr for the Cobra. Dad bought mom a brand new one in early '76 that was blue with white stripes. Dad put keystones on it for her, glass packs and swapped out the 2 bbl intake and carb for a 4bbl. Loved that car. Dad had a dark blue 74 1/2 Torino Elite with a 351 Cleveland and had just bought a medium slate blue metallic '76 Cougar XR7 with a 351 W and white vinyl quarter roof then too. Had magnum 500's and glass packs on them too. One of my favorite cars he had.

That's my buddy Nick Dominick's Maverick. It's name is Spooky. He's in the Maverick/Comet car club I'm in. It is a wicked ride. He even Jack's it up in his garage and waxes the frame. Drives the hell out of it too.
A Town Car with anything other than OEM wheels just looks like something out of the barrio. IMO

I need to take my Cougar and Town Car to a local show one of these days. "Drive one, tow the other, or remote one and drive the other, or... guess I won't go."

Standing in the hot sun for hours does not thrill me though.