What did you do with your Thunderbird Today?

IMG_20240821_181709042_HDR.jpgIMG_20240821_181727470_HDR.jpg
Switched out the u clamps for lap clamps on the exhaust. Looks a lot cleaner, gets a bit better ground clearance. Also swapped out the firebird Tips cause I couldn't be bothered to measure, cut, weld, repeat to make them look symmetrical

Correct.

Here's a schematic of the internals of the module. It's from a Camaro/Firebird manual, so it may not be entirely the same! But it shows how the run circuit (red arrow) directly powers the bulbs.

View attachment 7228

I tapped into the purple/orange at the secondary junction block, which is that same 5A circuit. But I'm on LEDs, so current draw is far lower.

Well, I'm glad it worked out for you!

Heh I didn’t even think to look up the diagram, I trusted you that much! 😆

I put my old ZEVO LEDs back in tonight, they’re still super dim in park/head mode IMO but for the DRL/ turn signals at full brightness they’re adequate for now. Now I need to get an electronic flasher, dang it lol

I put my old ZEVO LEDs back in tonight, they’re still super dim in park/head mode IMO but for the DRL/ turn signals at full brightness they’re adequate for now.

I think it's a good thing that they're dim in park/head because that way the turn signals stand out better.

I appreciate the trust! Ohhh, but remember: I'm not a professional, and I wouldn't advise anyone to follow my advice!

In researching this project, I read a lot of stuff, both related to Camaro and to the minivans. I also experimented with a module from a Camaro. I can't remember for certain, but I believe that the parking brake logic was slightly different.
On the minivans, once you release the parking brake, and the DRLs come on, fastening the parking brake does  not turn them off until the next ignition cycle. The logic is set up that way because the cluster light for the parking brake is the same as low brake fluid. Meaning that, if the logic allowed the fastening of the parking brake to turn off the DRLs, then low brake fluid would also turn off the DRLs. When I played with the Camaro unit, it seemed to work without any parking brake input...
It's all irrelevant of course if you don't want a parking brake dependency of the DRLs.

While you're looking at that diagram of the module's internals, one thing is interesting: there's a second ignition feed (brown). I'm not sure what that does; all my experiments revealed was that it wasn't needed. I'm guessing that it's related to parking/headlight operation.
That diagram is cut off on the right side. There are two more relays in the unit which you don't see; those two relays are parking and headlights.

And note at the top left of the diagram the reference to domestic vs. Canadian, specifically the elimination of the ambient light sensor for domestic. That's for Firebird with pop-up headlights to prevent unwanted popping up.

Nobody ever tried to make the Ford Auto Lamps work? 🤔

Nobody ever tried to make the Ford Auto Lamps work? 🤔

My car came with autolamps, DRLs only illuminate from the front which is a feature only Canadian MN12s came with from the factory where it’s mandated, only they pulse width modulated the high beams instead.

I see it in the EVTM now .. the Canadian only DRL module. 🙄

Took the Cougar out a few times today; she was running great... The gear shifts were crisp, trac-lok was holding tight when aggressive, and the engine sounded so smooth.
I took a picture when I went out tonight to park her back in the garage. The original paint is looking pretty nice for 28 years old. I love the way Cougars look with the notch back, so classic and unique.

View attachment 7224
1724288336182.jpeg

Took the Cougar out a few times today; she was running great... The gear shifts were crisp, trac-lok was holding tight when aggressive, and the engine sounded so smooth.
I took a picture when I went out tonight to park her back in the garage. The original paint is looking pretty nice for 28 years old. I love the way Cougars look with the notch back, so classic and unique.

View attachment 7224

1724288395310.jpeg

I think it's a good thing that they're dim in park/head because that way the turn signals stand out better.

I appreciate the trust! Ohhh, but remember: I'm not a professional, and I wouldn't advise anyone to follow my advice!

In researching this project, I read a lot of stuff, both related to Camaro and to the minivans. I also experimented with a module from a Camaro. I can't remember for certain, but I believe that the parking brake logic was slightly different.
On the minivans, once you release the parking brake, and the DRLs come on, fastening the parking brake does  not turn them off until the next ignition cycle. The logic is set up that way because the cluster light for the parking brake is the same as low brake fluid. Meaning that, if the logic allowed the fastening of the parking brake to turn off the DRLs, then low brake fluid would also turn off the DRLs. When I played with the Camaro unit, it seemed to work without any parking brake input...
It's all irrelevant of course if you don't want a parking brake dependency of the DRLs.

While you're looking at that diagram of the module's internals, one thing is interesting: there's a second ignition feed (brown). I'm not sure what that does; all my experiments revealed was that it wasn't needed. I'm guessing that it's related to parking/headlight operation.
That diagram is cut off on the right side. There are two more relays in the unit which you don't see; those two relays are parking and headlights.

And note at the top left of the diagram the reference to domestic vs. Canadian, specifically the elimination of the ambient light sensor for domestic. That's for Firebird with pop-up headlights to prevent unwanted popping up.

I’m exceptionally good at the nuts and bolts of wiring and only ok(ish) at circuit design so I’m willing to take the advise of those in the trenches when they found victory.

The handbrake aspect was something I was weighing in my setup, the connector is literally 3 inches from it so it would be pretty easy to include but looking at my EVTM I’m not sure it would work the way it should in the minivan circuit, so I just chose to omit it and jumper. Besides which most people don’t even use their parking brakes so who cares if that’s the factory intent, real world it makes no difference.

I got in the habit of using the brake 30 years ago, when I ad a wandering subaru.:) 76 gl 4door with 200k+ miles on it. It was so low in compression, it couldn't be left in gear, and expect it to be where you left it, even in a flat parking lot, lol.

good work on the drl module!

The handbrake aspect was something I was weighing in my setup,

You know, last night it came to me: you could connect that light blue wire from the module to the backup light feed.

That way, DRLs would turn on when you shift out of Park and then stay on until the next ignition cycle.

Added bonus: if for whatever reason you ever wanted to drive (forward) without DRLs, you could first shift into Neutral and then start the engine.

You know, last night it came to me: you could connect that light blue wire from the module to the backup light feed.

That way, DRLs would turn on when you shift out of Park and then stay on until the next ignition cycle.

Added bonus: if for whatever reason you ever wanted to drive (forward) without DRLs, you could first shift into Neutral and then start the engine.
Yeah… about that :tongue:

IMG_4431.jpeg

I'm guessing a shiny, black,color-matching shift knob was too hot. White pops out at you,and shows it off better.
A manual conversion is the ultimate anti-carjacking tool. :)

I'm guessing a shiny, black,color-matching shift knob was too hot. White pops out at you,and shows it off better.
A manual conversion is the ultimate anti-carjacking tool. :)

The black one is actually in car now, but I like that the white one indeed shows it off better, hence using that older pic haha

I went back to the silverstars, as I remembered you can’t see the ZEVOs for crap during the daytime

Side project, I grabbed a decent leather wrapped wheel for my Focus from a SES(as well as the rear spoiler since it covers a few inexplicable dents it acquired back there). My Focus is bottom of the barrel trim, so no cruise and radio controls on the wheel, and while I’m not against non functional buttons every one I find in the yards has the black printing worn down to the white base layer, so instead I made delete plates out of the switch bodies using some plexiglass and leftover perforated leather from the Cougar’s shift boot. It’s a poor man’s FR500 lol

IMG_5652.jpeg

I'm out working on the red cougar. I'm moving a bunch of stuff from lazarus. I'm going to use the 02 maf and inlet, the fuel rail, and coolant reservoir. I put the nos one I bought in the tbird, 5 or so years ago. Tbird is trashed; the idiot I sold it to never fixed the mlps problem, so when it stuck in second, he drove it on the interstate in second, until it blew out a freeze plug.,lol. I drove that car with the prob for 10 years, and could always dink with the shifter, and get it back into od. I'm thinking it probably is a good candidate for a warped head. :facepalm: Dude's a fucking moron.

I have gas pumping again; I should be able to finish today. I'm also going to Install the radiator. :)
I still can't find my prp dongle, but it's in this room.
I also ave a 97 cupholder that's going in this week, and I have wiring upgrades for the stereo to add.
IIRC, it will run a pi, on the stock tune, but will be lean on the WOT end of things. I'm swapping the injectors for 24# ones, so I'll have some margin. Running rich rarely breaks things. Might foul plugs tho. I have a wideband for it too.

Switched out the u clamps for lap clamps on the exhaust. Looks a lot cleaner, gets a bit better ground clearance. Also swapped out the firebird Tips cause I couldn't be bothered to measure, cut, weld, repeat to make them look symmetrical
Excellent choice. I have been using those types of clamps for years. I also used an exhaust sealant to keep any air from getting through. Though I do not recommend it.

I got yet another letter from the state. They were bitching about the lack of insurance. It now has insurance, I just had to tell them so.
Next up; they'll be bitching about the newly broken Lazarus. :) I called and explained, we'll see what happens.
All has been good, until the city noticed the tag had been out since 09, lol. That's when I broke it. I put Laz on hiatus, but we'll see.

I got yet another letter from the state. They were bitching about the lack of insurance. It now has insurance, I just had to tell them so.
Next up; they'll be bitching about the newly broken Lazarus. :) I called and explained, we'll see what happens.
All has been good, until the city noticed the tag had been out since 09, lol. That's when I broke it. I put Laz on hiatus, but we'll see.
Wow... they "noticed" the tag? How convenient... sounds like a nosey neighbor that likes to report people. How does Dereck get away with driving 20 year old out of license cars 700 miles and not get pulled over?

Hey Wile, where did you get that exhaust kit? I saw something similar from eBay.

Hey Wile, where did you get that exhaust kit? I saw something similar from eBay.
The cherry bomb back is from TruBends. The long tubes, cats, and cherry bomb were custom stuff that I did years ago. Headers are eBay specials for a 99 stang I modified.