Post a picture you took today

Flux core is fine for an emergency on the trail repair or when you have to fix some piece of equipment on site, but it will never be pretty, and will always have tons of slag and spatter no matter how well you clean everything. If you really want to start welding stuff, spring for a real MIG setup, and with a little practice, you’ll be much happier with the results!

Judge these welds, bought this harbor freight flux 125 a year ago and never really use it. Just messing around nothing serious. Pretty sure my setting are wrong and my technique leaves much to be desired 😬

I’d be happy if I could weld my own braces soon and not have to rely on anybody.

View attachment 1622View attachment 1623View attachment 1624
Ditto off what Dub said. But if that's your first time welding, you're on the right track.

Why I have trust issues. The previous owner of my sand rail thought that this, and Scotchloks, were perfectly acceptable means of making electrical connections. Glad I’m rewiring it.
Stuff like this is why I drink.

Why I have trust issues. The previous owner of my sand rail thought that this, and Scotchloks, were perfectly acceptable means of making electrical connections. Glad I’m rewiring it. View attachment 1636
This is why I love clear heatshrink tubing. This way, the soldered connections are visible and since the whole wire bundle is covered in techflex sleeve anyway, it still looks clean.

I'm not a fan of graffiti but
a) The worm made me chuckle and
b) How they tagged it was far more impressive than some dipshit tagging my fence or a bar urinal. Rappelling must have been involved.
PXL_20231022_224802839.jpg

What type of seats are you going for here as replacements?

For comfort oriented 6 way adjustable seats with reclining seatbacks 59lbs isn't that heavy, 47 for the manual passenger side not bad at all. For reference good(read comfortable, street oriented, reclining back) aftermarket seats from Recaro or Corbeau are are typically 25-30lbs without tracks. Add tracks and they're not coming in at any weight to make their weight loss alone a selling point, especially in a chassis that is still 3600lbs with no front seats in it at all

Pulling the rear carpeting, rear seats, spare cover, and adding a full size, matching pattern spare the car was good for losing almost 300 lbs. All off the rear, which is not great, lol. The battery relocation will help with weight distribution. The Teksid will drop 80 off the front, if I don't make up for it with heads/ intakes. :)

Anyone else suddenly getting these on Youtube?

View attachment 1550

Eat my ass Google.

I got a slightly different version. First it would put up a screen over the video saying YouTube doesn't allow adblockers, after about 10 seconds I could click to remove it. Then recently, it was saying I wouldn't be able to watch videos if I didn't turn off my adblocker, first saying something like I had 3 more chances, then 2, etc. So I turned it off. Doesn't bother me that much, it's not like I'm going to buy anything in those ads, and I definitely won't buy anything that forces me to watch the whole ad. I use Firefox on a dual-boot machine, saw it on both Linux and Windows.

Pulling the rear carpeting, rear seats, spare cover, and adding a full size, matching pattern spare the car was good for losing almost 300 lbs. All off the rear, which is not great, lol. The battery relocation will help with weight distribution. The Teksid will drop 80 off the front, if I don't make up for it with heads/ intakes. :)

Lol what? the donut is 25lbs, the carpet and fiberboard cover maybe somewhere between 10-20lbs, rear seat is probably 20-25lbs for the non-folddown seatback and 10ish for the bottom. Those numbers are guesstimates from carrying them but I can safely say there's no way in hell its even 1/3rd of 300lbs total back there. A full size spare depending on what wheel/tire you're using can be as high as 60lbs(my old 19x9 track packs easily were), that'll eat up whatever savings of the donut and carpeting and then some. There are big and tall windbreakers heaver than the trunk carpet in these cars :rofl:

The carpet, liner, board, inner plastic, pretty much everything is out so I can do body work. It's in a huge box, and that was the consensus of the two other big guys that helped me drag it into the basement, lol. IDK what it weighs, but it's enough to change the feel of the car considerably. When it comes out of the basement, it will be by piece. :)

What a shit hole. I can still find gas for under $6 up here in Norcal. 🙄

Ya, but then you have to live in Norcal, hahaaha.

Those prices are stupid, I live in L.A. (The Valley) and gas is slowly(?) going down, 87 is around $5.79.99999999999999999999999 on average.

I've always thought it was dumb that driving 2 miles could see a noticeable change in gas prices for the same gas station chain. I mean, imagine different Ralphs supermarkets having basic food prices fluctuate by a dollar or two depending on what neighborhood you were in, nobody would put up with that.

@dDUBb will do! I’m gonna try and get my hand on some more scraps here and there.

Not in a rush to change seats because these are so damn comfy, but it would be cool to save a couple LBS.

here’s a link to some cobra fixed seats that seem stupid light, the picture says about 7kg.

Check out this item on OfferUp. https://offerup.co/V5NOFAIzbEb

Last edited:
Got a promotion at work and my first day in my position was Monday. New department, new set of tasks, new everything.

My credentials are STILL not live, so I spent Monday doing cable management.

PXL_20231024_233057796.jpg

PXL_20231023_161822691.jpg

Before:

PXL_20231023_150226894.jpg

PXL_20231023_150232433.jpg

Congrats!

Thanks!

Cool (I hope!). What's the new role?

I'll basically be doing data analysis for homelessness for the whole of County of San Bernardino. I'm going to be leading a small team where they'll assist with running reports, provide training to new users at partnership entities (churches, Salvation Army, etc.).

In addition to the above, I'll also be tasked with larger vision roles on how the team, and potentially the department, will develop and evolve.

Sounds like a rather significant career change from what you were doing before. Is that something you'd envisioned yourself doing before or was this a sudden (last couple months) development?

The title is what I envisioned, but the department that picked me up has duties that are quite different than what I imagined.

However, this position has a great opportunity for me to move into a project management role here in about a year, which is what I absolutely do envision for myself.

Congrats on the new gig. Hope it's a good move for you!

A few of the photos from our trip to Oregon last week. We were in Ashland visiting extended family. It was the first time I'd been west of Chicago (if you exclude when I was in Japan 6 years ago, anyway), so I got to check a few things off my bucket list!

Hughes H4 Hercules "Spruce Goose" - it's got a presence!
PXL_20231015_184226170.PANO.jpg

Crater Lake. Yeah, it's blue. We hiked up to the top of Garfield Peak for a few pics.
_DSC0415s.jpg
_DSC0397 - _DSC0399sm.jpg

Redwood forest. Kind of impossible to describe or show how massive these things are. Despite that.. they're huge!
PXL_20231019_204101064s.jpgPXL_20231019_204234115s.jpgPXL_20231019_212752124s.jpg

Looks like fun but I've been smart enough to never learn how to ride a dirt bike since everyone around me saw how I rode BMX bikes. Probably for the best at this point, lol.. I still ride my BMX but crashing gets a bit more complicated when you hit mid-40's apparently...

Took my pup out for some exercise a few days ago and he decided it was time for a break in the fall sun. Even after having several Dal companions over the years I'm now beginning to wonder if they are solar charged somehow, which would kinda explain their behavior. Hmm...

fall sun.jpg