Post a picture you took today

Held at that angle, it Looks like the body of a pistol magazine but there are no feed lips visible and the angle is very odd ( perpendicular at the base/bottom and significantly angled almost like a Luger at the top)

Could you tell what it is? I was pretty sure it was a dash part; I'm still betting something to do with ac or defog... I cant recognize the pic, is that the glove box?

My Cougar has that but I’ve never seen a 96-97 bird or Cougar with those. I’m surprised they made those little caps in any capacity when the beancounters were on their warpath

I snapped a bunch of photos of the Axiom 3 launch on Thursday. We were lucky enough to get seated 4 miles away from the pad for the launch.
That's really something else. The second photo would look great behind glass

If you guys have never been to a launch, I'd make the time. From what I understand, the kfc in coral springs is an awesome place to watch launches from. They were there in the 50's, and are close. IDKnow, tho, that was 80's. :) I've seen a Saturn V, and a shuttle launch, and I'll never forget. Talking to an electrical guy at the Saturn Launch pushed me into my career. At 9 or so...

I took these today to answer some questions about straightening and flaring the NiCopp brake line material. I use a piece of scrap 2x4 with a 13/64" hole drilled through it to straighten out the line. Roll it out on the bench, then slide it back and forth through the 2x4 a couple times to get it straight.
IMG_3609large.jpg

I use a vise-mounted flaring tool that always makes perfect flares. It makes flaring a snap.
IMG_3611large.jpg

IMG_3596large.jpg
IMG_3598large.jpg

I took these today to answer some questions about straightening and flaring the NiCopp brake line material. I use a piece of scrap 2x4 with a 13/64" hole drilled through it to straighten out the line. Roll it out on the bench, then slide it back and forth through the 2x4 a couple times to get it straight.
View attachment 3581

I use a vise-mounted flaring tool that always makes perfect flares. It makes flaring a snap.
View attachment 3582

View attachment 3583
View attachment 3584
Love the 2*4 idea!

IMG_20240122_152840512.jpgHard to see, but I added a bead of hot glue inside the snap rib of the center cap. The FR500 wheels that were supposedly the last 2 came with different caps. They sent me a new one, but it was the same as the incorrect caps depth. Once dry I'll shape these to fit if they are tight. If not, I'll add another round.

IMG_20240122_151717421_HDR.jpgIMG_20240122_151727680_HDR.jpg
Not cool like the W9, but we just had this come in. It's one of the Mack MD Electric demo trucks. It's at my dealer because it's broken lol.
Check engine light, funny enough.

Subscription-Mack-MD-Electric-1200.jpg
Here's a photo of the truck in it's Demo ready state at an event in California.

God I never thought Mack could find a way to make a truck worse than the ones they already do. Looks like I was wrong.

God I never thought Mack could find a way to make a truck worse than the ones they already do. Looks like I was wrong.
Yeah they don't make anything cool anymore. Volvo/EPA ruined any cool factor they had. The Long Hood CHs are discontinued, they don't offer a manual transmission anymore, and their electronics are the death of them. The military trucks are pretty awesome but they are few and far between. We had one of them though too. IMG_20240117_133531952.jpg

The Mack U/DM/DMM (finally got it right after several edits and Google cross-referencing, I think) with the distinctive offset cabs were the ones from my (and likely everyone else here's) childhood. I thought they looked wonky, but I liked them as a child. Hell if I know why. Maybe it was the bulldog hood ornament.

I also didn't know Volvo acquired them in 2000 until now.

Last edited:
Just like a Western Star is a shell of it's former self since it's become a Freightliner. Can't even get a 'hood anymore. Sad days on the horizon if your into rigs

Old mack line up is confusing as hell.

At the dealer we call anything with an offset cab a DM. But it's more complicated than that. DMs were short hoods, and they were also called U models. RMs were the log trucks with steel, center split hoods. But RM688s could also be SuperLiners, which have conventional cabs with normal, though huge, hoods. And RDs are the most of the old mack dumps you see still on the road. But normal "R" models had hoods about a 2 feet longer and were usually tractors.

Also, the big thing about the superliner was that you could get the E9 500hp V8. But most were sold with I6s, the E6 300hp one at that, and you could get the V8s in any model anyway.

Also, it didn't really matter what engine you got, cause you could have mack turn any engine up to 900hp if you wanted. It would just void the warranty.

They also told Crane cams they "didn't know what they were talking about" in the late 90s. This is because Crane was brought in to fix reliability issues with the E7, as they were eating cams since the mid 80s. Crane told them they needed to redesign the block in order to fit a physically larger cam and different lifter design.

The E7 continued to eat Cams until it was discontinued in 07.

I could go on for days about weird, frankly dumb things Mack has done. Granted I have basically surface level knowledge of these things since I've only been around them for over a year.

Last edited:
Yeah they don't make anything cool anymore. Volvo/EPA ruined any cool factor they had. The Long Hood CHs are discontinued, they don't offer a manual transmission anymore, and their electronics are the death of them. The military trucks are pretty awesome but they are few and far between. We had one of them though too.
We have a fleet of them where I work. They constantly are broken and there is no rhyme or reason as to when what will break. One will go down at 50k with bad transmission solenoids while the one that rolled off the line behind it derates within the first 10k miles while the next one loses its seventh injector at 110k just outside the warranty.

Every year, the electronics and software change. The coding that worked on the 2019 Anthem don't work on the 2020s, the 2020 coding doesn't work on the 2021s, and so on and so forth. On top of that, the wiring inside the dashboard also changes annually. The Pinnacle had the accessory posts under the pie slice. So simple. Every year of Anthem has a different fusebox layout and a different way to hook in accessories. Drives me absolutely insane. And don't even get me started on their "OBD2 diagnostic port that really isn't an OBD2 port" bullcrap. Just use a green J1939 port like everybody else FFS.

Meanwhile our Detroit Freightliners just keep chugging along unbothered and unchanged.

We have a fleet of them where I work. They constantly are broken and there is no rhyme or reason as to when what will break. One will go down at 50k with bad transmission solenoids while the one that rolled off the line behind it derates within the first 10k miles while the next one loses its seventh injector at 110k just outside the warranty.

Every year, the electronics and software change. The coding that worked on the 2019 Anthem don't work on the 2020s, the 2020 coding doesn't work on the 2021s, and so on and so forth. On top of that, the wiring inside the dashboard also changes annually. The Pinnacle had the accessory posts under the pie slice. So simple. Every year of Anthem has a different fusebox layout and a different way to hook in accessories. Drives me absolutely insane. And don't even get me started on their "OBD2 diagnostic port that really isn't an OBD2 port" bullcrap. Just use a green J1939 port like everybody else FFS.

Meanwhile our Detroit Freightliners just keep chugging along unbothered and unchanged.
We've had a few that detonated their engines within 5k miles. They still haven't fixed the camshafts lobes that spin and will wipe out the injectors/head.

Also if you read the codes on a derated one, and it has LoC of ACM, AHDM, NOx sensors, and the DEF gauge doesn't work, check the power feed wire/fuse in the battery box for the ACM. They decided to just make a loose wire the feed for something that'll bring down the whole truck.

Also, if it is derated and is an M drive, unplug the rear most sensor on the transmission above the drive shaft. You'll be able to go 55mph so you can at least get somewhere. But don't shut the truck off until you get to where you need to go.

The fries are supposed to be on the sandwich. ;) That does look good though.

View attachment 3581

View attachment 3582

View attachment 3583
View attachment 3584
Nice work Rod. You are a true craftsman.

I like the tubing straightener. That's 100x better than the $200 RIGID Tool we bought at work, with the cool pullies/rollers. It didn't work very good at all. Seems to me that your type tool could be lengthened as needed to improve function. :)

1000003916.jpg

We ended up with a surprise hawk looking "Easter egg" chicken from Tractor Supply. After two years it has finally started laying eggs. Green eggs and bacon for brunch.

I Wish I could still cook easy over eggs; since II had a stroke, eggs, pancakes, and bacon are all microwaved. I just bought an egg cooker, I miss egg mcmuffins every morning. I'm too far away from micky d's for delivery. and I'm still waking up at 5:20 every morning. :) After you do it for 30+ years, you will too, lol.